Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-25-2003, 09:13 PM

Default HELP! - can\'t delete blank space at end of song b/f bounce to disk

I have a final mix, but for some reason PTLE won't let me delete a huge amount of blank space AFTER the song. It things the song is twelve minutes long because of this blank space. There is nothing in the space and I have tried to delete it many times. Help!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: HELP! - can\'t delete blank space at end of song b/f bounce to disk

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Anderson:
I have a final mix, but for some reason PTLE won't let me delete a huge amount of blank space AFTER the song. It things the song is twelve minutes long because of this blank space. There is nothing in the space and I have tried to delete it many times. Help!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You should be able to just highlight the amount you want to bounce and it will cut off the rest. Leave some room after the end of the song or you may get a click. Then you can bring it back in to PTLE as a stereo track to do some finishing touches on the length or use a mastering program.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2003, 09:21 PM

select the part of the song you wish to bounce in the timeline ruler, so that only the bounce material is highlighted. Unless there's something really strange going on in you session, that should take care of it.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:45 PM

Worked perfectly! Thanks, guys, for the super-quick help.

Joseph
Old 03-26-2003, 02:29 AM

As far as the blank space, I set all tracks, including MIDI tracks, to display blocks, and sometime I find blocks there, and delete them.
Usually I see them on MIDI tracks, but there are no MIDI notes. Maybe just some leftover information from a take. If I do a couple of successive takes in the same session, sometimes there is still something there if I delete or move takes. Try it.....
Old 03-26-2003, 02:38 AM

ProTools allows you to set how large you want the session to be (minute wise). I forget where this option is, I'm not at my system but I doubt its hard to find. It's 4:30am, maybe someone else can explain why they allow you to do this. But it's something you can change so your sessions don't default to 12 mins long.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:43 PM

I often have the "blank space" problem, and what it has always been is some form of automation that is active past the end of the song. If you want to fix this problem properly, look at that "blank" area in the volume view / pans view etc. I guarantee that you will find an automation breakpoint of some description at 12 minutes in your session.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:21 PM

Freeheel - I assumed that was what it was, too, because that is usually the case. If that is not it, look at the blocks view, and you may find unused, empty blocks on a track, probably a MIDI track.

Joseph - Between the two, you should find your problem. It is annoying because when you double click on the zoomer to see the whole project, you see a lot of blank space at the end of the session. Also when BTD.
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 06:03 PM

I have a neat little trick to get rid of all that space. Double click on zoomer, change all tracks to regions view, drag along the time line with cursor from just beyond the end of the space backwards to where your song ends. Hit delete. Then, change all to volume view and make the same selection as above. Hit < control + delete >. This will clear out all automation including all layers of automation under the volume view. Sends, pans, mutes... everything.

dk
Old 03-26-2003, 08:57 PM

regions - that's what I meant, not blocks - sorry for the confusion.............