Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2002, 07:36 PM

Default Error 9073? What the...

G4-400/640ram
OS 9.2
LE 5.1.1

Error 9073… Says my disc maybe too slow or too fragmented (trying to play back just 6 stereo tracks with one D-Verb and one 4 band EQ) I’ve had sessions fully loaded with 24 tracks as long as 45 minutes with like 3 EQ’s, a limiter and two D-Verbs without a hiccup. Well, screen redraws got pretty slow & sloppy, but never these "messages"

It’s a 7200rpm Maxtor internal IDE (defragged pretty regularly). I also get some strange message about cannot hold off hardware interrupts any longer or some such thing and that’s when just doing MIDI with no audio!! Could it be that my audio drive is failing? It’s only a year old and half full. That is, only half of one of two 20gig partitions.

I have say, in over a year of perfectly smooth operation, I’ve NEVER seen anything like this before with my set up. Everything is configured properly. You know… base set ext. setting, 512 cache… yadda yadda… Really, I swear! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hardware buffer is at 1024 and CPU at 85., 120megs ram allocated for both DAE and LE. I trashed all relevant prefs, rebuilt the desktop, zapped p-ram and defragged the audio drive with Tech Tool Pro. Thought the session was maybe corrupt so I did the Import Track thing into a new session. Still no luck, same thing.

I’m not sure why this is starting to happen right now… I did however recently upgraded to OS 9.2 (that was about two weeks ago and this just started the day before yesterday) Well, at least the good news is that my mouse freezing seems to have been fixed since upgrading 9.2… [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Any thoughts on this anyone other than reinstalling the OS and LE? Are there some new extensions in the 9.2 base set that are maybe conflicting with something that I should turn of as well?

Thanks,

dk
Old 07-09-2002, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Error 9073? What the...

dk,
I can relate to your frustrations. The exact same thing happened to me a while back and it turned out to be a faulty audio drive (bad clusters). Ironically, none of my Mac drive utilities showed the problem. Only the Seagate utility for Windows showed the fault. Obviously I had to install the drive in my PC to run it. This was the beginning of a long saga with Seagate over warranty issues which sre STILL yet to be resolved (a year later).
I'd be backing up your drive (if you haven't done so already) and trying another one.

I guess there is a possibility that your OS update could be causing problems but you have been using it without errors for a couple of weeks.
There was some talk of OS 9.2 issues with older single processor G4's (I have a G4 400 too). I am still running OS9.04 with PT 5.1.
Perhaps it would be worth a search for OS9.2 issues. I think the issue related to a conflict with the dual processor extension.
Deleting an extension would sure be a lot less hassle than replacing a drive.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:39 AM

Thanks Doc, I'll try removing that dual processor extension and post back with the results. Funny how it doesn't show up in the extensions manager.

BTW, how is the piece for "the project" going? I'm your lead in... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

dk
Old 07-11-2002, 07:04 AM

My tune is almost finished. Just a few more finishing touches to do and then the final mix.
I'm really looking forward to hearing what you come up with. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Hope you've solved your Mac probs.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:50 AM

I bet the DAE playback buffer has reverted to 0. It should be on the middle setting (2 or 4 can't remember) or higher one for very complex sessions (making a delay before playback or record as a result).
to change it quit protools, and open the DAE in the DAE folder (sometimes I have to restart first) then set playback buffer size in file menu. restart again then you're there.