Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2023, 06:24 PM

Default Headphones Cross-Feed with Dadman

I’m wondering if there is a way to setup cross-feed for headphones in Dadman’s monitor profile.

I would appreciate hearing if anyone had been able to set this up within Dadman without any additional plugins or apps.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Headphones Cross-Feed with Dadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLocascio View Post
I’m wondering if there is a way to setup cross-feed for headphones in Dadman’s monitor profile.

I would appreciate hearing if anyone had been able to set this up within Dadman without any additional plugins or apps.

Thanks.
DADman Monitor Profile, right click on an open space outside of any monitoring already setup and select the option to Add Monitor or something.. I am not in my room, but the key is in the Monitor Profile I believe. I have set up two different headphones outputs.. one for Binaural Headphone monitoring and two more for my Klang Headphone Amp for myself and additional talent that I can control vol from the headphone box itself.
Sorry I can't be more help, but long day.

OK I saw this on the DUC from Jeff Komar. Maybe it will help.

For reference -> this doc should help navigate the unit:https://www.dropbox.com/s/md2ktxtuy0...ource.pdf?dl=0

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-17-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
DADman Monitor Profile, right click on an open space outside of any monitoring already setup and select the option to Add Monitor or something.. I am not in my room, but the key is in the Monitor Profile I believe. I have set up two different headphones outputs.. one for Binaural Headphone monitoring and two more for my Klang Headphone Amp for myself and additional talent that I can control vol from the headphone box itself.
Sorry I can't be more help, but long day.

OK I saw this on the DUC from Jeff Komar. Maybe it will help.

For reference -> this doc should help navigate the unit:https://www.dropbox.com/s/md2ktxtuy0...ource.pdf?dl=0

G
Thanks for the reply. The link isn’t working for me.

I understand how to setup the Monitor Profile for headphone outs and cue mix, etc. I want to find out if it is possible to setup cross-feed to the HP outs and cue mix using Dadman.

The following is how Grace describes their x-feed (cross-feed) feature in their m905 monitor controller:
“X-feed (cross-feed) simulates the acoustics of a loudspeaker listening environment which can significantly improve imaging while reducing listening fatigue when using headphones. This feature employs carefully designed signal cross-feed, filtering and delay circuits to simulate hrtf (head related transfer functions).“
Old 04-17-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I understand how to setup the Monitor Profile for headphone outs and cue mix, etc. I want to find out if it is possible to setup cross-feed to the HP outs and cue mix using Dadman.

The following is how Grace describes their x-feed (cross-feed) feature in their m905 monitor controller:
“X-feed (cross-feed) simulates the acoustics of a loudspeaker listening environment which can significantly improve imaging while reducing listening fatigue when using headphones. This feature employs carefully designed signal cross-feed, filtering and delay circuits to simulate hrtf (head related transfer functions).“
No. You can't do HTRF in DADman. You can bus signal from one channel to the other and change the mix level of that combined signal. But you can't apply a filter or delay to a signal before mixing it together.

If you really want to do it, you would need to set up two monitors, apply SPQ delays/filters on the first monitoring path. Route that through a physical loopback back into DADman for the second monitoring path and then use a custom fold down matrix to sum the filtered/delayed signal from the opposite channel with the original signal for the actual ear. It would be
MonitorA 2 out -> SPQ EQ/delay -> loopback -> MonitorB 2in from MonitorA + 2in original source -> fold down 4 channel to 2 channel -> Headphone out.

Good luck with that. Lots of opportunity to get phase issues. Meanwhile the Grace m600 is $660 and has a simple crossfeed circuit

Last edited by BScout; 04-17-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
No. You can't do HTRF in DADman. You can bus signal from one channel to the other and change the mix level of that combined signal. But you can't apply a filter or delay to a signal before mixing it together.

If you really want to do it, you would need to set up two monitoring, apply SPQ delays/filters on the first monitoring path. Route that through a physical loopback back into DADman for the second monitoring path and then use a custom fold down matrix to sum the filtered/delayed signal from the opposite channel with the original signal for the actual ear. It would be
MonitorA 2 out -> SPQ EQ/delay -> loopback -> MonitorB 2in from MonitorA + 2in original source -> fold down 4 channel to 2 channel -> Headphone out.

Good luck with that. Lots of opportunity to get phase issues. Meanwhile the Grace m600 is $660 and has a simple crossfeed circuit
I had a feeling it might not be possible to do cross-feed in the Monitor Profile section, but was hopeful there might be a way with a fold down (without looping out and back in a physical output). Would be very cool if DAD would add this feature.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Funny worked for me fine. it's like 45mb file so could not attach it here. Reach out to Jeff Komar. AKA creativecontrol here. Let me link the discussion.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...reativecontrol
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-17-2023, 05:25 PM
Avid

No. What BSCOUT said.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ