Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2023, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Avid MTRX 2 ?

I think ‘component availability’ which never used to come up at all, is the new inarguable/uncheckable excuse for all sorts of chicanery. While true in some cases, i think that is just a new tool in the PR toolbox.
Old 05-08-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Come on Mark. At the time of writing the AX64 was just introduced, which the MTRX II is based on.

The MTRX 1 was based on the AX32, with 2 added digilink ports as the only difference between the MTRX and AX32 chassis, whereas the MTRX was selling for approx $1600 more than the AX32.

The MTRX II, based on the AX64, comes without the Thunderbolt 3 card that's pre-installed in an AX64. Also 16 channels of light pipe I/O are sacrificed compared to the AX64 to make room for the 2 digilink ports. That MTRX II is selling for $2000 more than the chassis it's based on, or even for $2799 more if you factor in the Thunderbolt 3 option card.

At the same time Jeff Rosica it telling this about the build costs of the MTRX II, quoted from the Q1 2023 earnings call transcript:

"The new MTRX II, which utilizes newer FPA technology that is less expensive and has better availability is expected to begin shipments during Q2 and should improve volumes and margins in this important product area."

It all doesn't make a lot of sense and it makes a lot of sen$e as well.

I wish AVID the best of luck selling this new MTRX II chassis to new, but especially to current customers.
Agree with you but I see no reason to go after Mark. This is set by corporate governance and not by the people on these forums. Other than pressing to make a trade-in program available, its time to let this go. Avid's prices will change only if they lose sales (and they are so far removed from audio interface hardware sales at this point, I don't even know if that would matter.)
Old 05-08-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Other than pressing to make a trade-in program available, its time to let this go.
Agree with you as well!

Eventually there is no need to be concerned about AX64 lifespan at this stage. It is a fantastic box with lots of life ahead of it.

With all of the connections already available to AX64, would the digilink even be of interest?

Old 05-08-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Agree with you but I see no reason to go after Mark. This is set by corporate governance and not by the people on these forums. Other than pressing to make a trade-in program available, its time to let this go. Avid's prices will change only if they lose sales (and they are so far removed from audio interface hardware sales at this point, I don't even know if that would matter.)
Not saying anyone should 'go after' Mark, however he's Sr Product Manager - that's corporate enough to be involved in these decisions. I doubt Jeff Rosica is involved in that level of detail.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Since this has been brought up a few times on this thread I wanted to set the record straight.

At that time we were still able to get the components necessary to build MTRX, albeit in limited quantities, and did not have any intention of moving away from the product. As component availability changed, we needed to change as well.

Simple as that.
This is what many would call BS and please save the tears for Mark.

Also, was just emailed that there will be no exchange for the MTRX mkI interface.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Also, was just emailed that there will be no exchange for the MTRX mkI interface.
Ah ok. Well, it’s totally up to AVID to offer a trade-in deal towards existing users or not. For the same matter it’s totally up to current MTRX owners to look at an alternative solution, because there are plenty other options that DAD offers, which save some serious money at the same time.
That’s sad for AVID, if they can’t live with a little lower margin because of a trade in deal they eventually end up earning exactly $0,- from the smarter current MTRX customer base.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:48 PM

So perhaps -perhaps- the MTRX II might have an outdated faceplate even before the day it’s in stock at resellers. Oops

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...-explores-sale
Old 05-24-2023, 04:24 PM

Blaming missing expectations due to audio hardware sales is quite a twist... Especially after discontinuing a majority of their audio hardware.

Whoever buys them will keep the brand so I don't think there's much of an issue with the MTRX II. Just can't think of any strong contenders for the purchase unless it goes to something awful like Bain.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:09 PM

Decades of just incompetent senior management comes home to roost. I don't imagine this will be a pretty sale, and I can't think of anybody where it really makes sense to acquire. I'd be surprised if any IB is interested unless an absolute fire sale but even then it's a millstone to have to sort out.. and Blum Capital could not sort out Avid in the past (edit).. and I forgot about Impactive Capital, who I think at least acquired their holdings in 2019/2020 so won't be hurting as much as Blum did. Still I can imagine they have tired of Avid. Innovative product driven companies like Blackmagic, UAD, etc. have already on the path of rolling their own software. Raising the money to do an acquisition is probably just not appealing especially in a down market. And Avid has outsourced so much of it's software development... not buying a strong development team with the product has got to be a huge turn off.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-24-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:18 AM

So... this happened.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting