Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2015, 07:50 AM

Default Preferences .. a way to save Please ..

Preferences .. a way to save Please ..

it is about time we are able to save those pesky Pref's that we are always having to Toss in the Trash. Avid, since we are doing this all the time due to Allegedly Corrupted Sessions we get all the time ..

and i do not mean putting back the ones that were bad from the trash .. No, i mean restoring the setting but NEW as if we went and manually (as we do now) restore these ..

this would save enough time to read War and Peace .. thank you in advance Avid ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-15-2015, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Preferences .. a way to save Please ..

Use this:
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...for-pt-11.html

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
Preferences .. a way to save Please ..

it is about time we are able to save those pesky Pref's that we are always having to Toss in the Trash. Avid, since we are doing this all the time due to Allegedly Corrupted Sessions we get all the time ..

and i do not mean putting back the ones that were bad from the trash .. No, i mean restoring the setting but NEW as if we went and manually (as we do now) restore these ..

this would save enough time to read War and Peace .. thank you in advance Avid ..

cheers john
Better yet, FIX THE FREAKIN' CODE so we don't have to delete the @#$& preferences all the time!

It frustrates me that the Number One, go-to solution for every troubleshooting exercise is to delete the preferences. It's a PITA trying to remember how they were set, and I invariably miss something when trying to reset them.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
.. oops .. somebody did not read my post correctly .. And, if you read down the page in your link a little you will see this ... "The only feature I am missing is the backup & restore, so you could keep a ‘good set’ and restore them if there was trouble." - i assume that he will come up with it eventually - hopefully ... great Tool !!!

i love this software but as I am saying - the Restore Part is what is missing ..

... but in the mean time yes, as Lorin stated - let fix this software so this does not need to happen

thank you for the link - maybe it will help another poor PT soul .. it is a small boat with a lot of water in it ..

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-15-2015, 09:07 AM

You don't have to trash preferences every now and then. It is 99% nonsense. Just like every other random OSX problem you hear the "have you repaired permissions" answer...

I have very rarely trashed prererences on my systems. The rare occasions are exception to this rule, but I myself don't buy this religion. It does no good, it only deletes your user preferences.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You don't have to trash preferences every now and then. It is 99% nonsense. Just like every other random OSX problem you hear the "have you repaired permissions" answer...

I have very rarely trashed prererences on my systems. The rare occasions are exception to this rule, but I myself don't buy this religion. It does no good, it only deletes your user preferences.
.. janne, then why is that the go to fix for most issues .. from Avid, not me .. you May be the exception to the rule here ..

... it does no good - then why have the option as a fix ?

... it only deletes your user pref's - then what is in them that is so volatile that they get corrupted all the time .. ?

all valid questions for Avid ..

john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 AM

Post Re: Preferences .. a way to save Please ..

Quote:
then what is in them that is so volatile that they get corrupted all the time .. ?
Most programs will read from and write to their preference files more often than users think they do.

As for backing up the preferences, you can either use the program that was linked to, manually copy the preference files when they are in a good state, or take screenshots of the settings that you know you will have to change after deleting preferences. I use the screenshot method when upgrading Pro Tools systems where I work.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:56 AM

i know what i can do as a workaround .. i am saying that we need this to be fixed in the software itself so we do not have these wastes of time at usually bad times ..

OR give us an option to save within the program like we can save I/O settings .. if this is really this hard then why have i never even had to toss my pref's in other DAW"S ??

more questions sorry ..

and i think my preferences are Always in a good State Until they are not .. and what is a good state ?? working, not crashing, this is the question ...

What is it writing (changing my User Preferences or ??) to these files ?? other than user info that causes issues .. well, then save those somewhere else .. these are My User Pref's not the Program's dumping ground .. LOL

please keep your sense of humor as some of this can sound a little harsh and it is not meant to be .. thx john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-15-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
...i assume that he will come up with it eventually - hopefully ...
That Pro Tools Expert article is Very out of date, I added Backup/Restore ages ago. It's actually all on the DUC though everyone here gets directed to PTE. Link to DUC thread in my signature. It's not only user prefs that are deleted, the most commonly problematic one since PT11 is the Workspace file which is an SQLite database. I've been using SQLite for years and rarely had corruption issues but there do occasionally seem to be problems in 11/12. There are occasionally problems with stale cache files too which it also clears. A lot is stored in the prefs file but unfortunately it's encrypted so the only recourse is to delete it or restore a known good one. I wrote it as I needed it myself and have occasionally had problems that deleting the prefs file definitely cured, as said, you shouldn't need to do it regularly as a matter of course though.

Pete
Old 08-15-2015, 01:47 PM

hey pete, have been using your software since day one .. love it brother .. you did add restore .. damn i just always am in a big hurry and only toss prefs .. i will have to look into this feature ..

you have done what Avid should do ..

thank you so much for the quick reply ... john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro