Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 AM

Default Configuring 192 Inserts

I have 2 Digi 192 interfaces. For the past few years I have just used a 192 Digital, but I got a good deal on a 192 Analog and this week spent some time getting it configured into my system (PT9HD).

I have two reverb units that I would like to use as inserts. One is a Lexicon PCM-81 and the other is a Behringer V-Verb.

I am running both AES using a Digisnake into the Digital card on the 192 (Analog).

I have configured the 192 so that inputs 1-4 are the AES ins/outs in setup I/O but am a little confused as to how the Insert page needs to be configured because there are just the 16 channels there - and at the top there are no drop downs to select exactly what inputs these are.

My question is do the I/O assignments from the setup page transfer over to the insert page - meaning that if AES 1-2 are on channel 1-2 then selecting those channels on Insert will use the assigned channels or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Configuring 192 Inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post

My question is do the I/O assignments from the setup page transfer over to the insert page - meaning that if AES 1-2 are on channel 1-2 then selecting those channels on Insert will use the assigned channels or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Hi,

Whatever settings are setup in the hardware setup page! Will crossover to the I/O setup. So if you have set inputs 9-12 as your AES ins and outs to use as hardware inserts then on the inserts page in the I/O just assign the inserts to 9-12.

The ins and outs have to be matching to work, sent to 1-2 and return on 1-2 etc.

To be honest I never found the digital to sound any better,in fact I thought the analogue on my Eventides sounded better and was a lot less hassle as digital can be trouble if you're constantly opening sessions at different rates.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 AM

Thanks a lot for the help! I will try things both ways and see what sounds better!

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 AM

Default Configuring 192 Inserts

In your io page, you might want to rename your insert channels to reflect the actual unit patched and save this as your default io.

Opening the insert menu to "Whatever you're using ch.1-2" beats AES ch.1-2 or Optical ch.1-2 in my book.

:)

Darryl Ramm
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Yeah, I did that already. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 AM

So everything is working fine, but I do have a question I was hoping could be answered.

The Lexicon and V-Verb are hooked up digitally via the 192 and I have setup an aux send to go to a box (for example, the Lexicon).

Right now, it looks like this:

In audio track (say guitar) I am sending signal to Aux 1. Aux 1 gets its input from Aux 1 and output to the Lexicon. Then I have to make another track with its input from the Lexicon and out to my master buss (I use input monitoring to hear the verb). Finally, I have to setup a MIDI track to change presets on the Lexicon (I made the definition files for both units).

In a lot of cases I don't want reverb across the whole signal, so the send method works better then the insert, which I would normally use for compressors or eqs.

Is there a better way to acomplish what I'm doing? Like I said, everything works, it's just a lot of screen real estate.