Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 AM

Default delivery interrupted overnight

Well, I thought I'd tested everything thoroughly, and last night before I went to bed, I saw a lot of internet activity going to the Serv|LT, so I figured that my first bona fide delivery would be waiting for me in the morning, but instead I got this in my email from my client:

Quote:
At some point last night the connection failed and I haven't been able to sign back on to digidelivery this morning.
The thing that frustrated me, and I gather I'm not the only DigiDelivery user to feel this frustration, is that I couldn't find any record of the delivery even being attempted from the admin pages, which makes it very difficult to get to the bottom of what happened.

This morning I logged in to the client's account and sent myself a test delivery, which worked fine. The client, understandably, is delivering via another route rather than go take her chances with DigiDelivery.

I don't think that anything was wrong with my internet connection, although I can't be sure because the problem happened after I'd turned off everything else that's connected to the internet (no, I didn't turn off the DSL modem or the Serv|LT, and there's no router in the chain that I might have turned off).

It could have been something with her internet connection, although when she couldn't log back in to DigiDelivery this morning, she could access the internet just fine.

I thought the problem might have been that I gave her http://xx.xxx.xx.xxx as the address instead of https://xx.xxx.xx.xxx/, although in my test delivery this morning, I used the "wrong" address and her login, and it worked fine. Granted the test was 30MB and the delivery she attempted is 2-3GB, and the problem didn't seem to occur in the first 30MB.

Anyone have theories on what happened and how I can avoid this happening to my clients in the future? It kind of defeats the purpose if my clients don't trust DigiDelivery. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Re: delivery interrupted overnight

Further info from my client:

Quote:
I was able to log on a little bit ago, it was pretty much the same logging on last night - I tried a couple times and got "server not found" and then eventually it just works.
Sounds as though she has an intermitent connection to our server, which I can't make any sense of. Any ideas?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Avid

Some things to check:

Make sure your client is using the most current version of the client software.

Was your client using a wireless internet connection? If so, you may want to have her try with a wired connection.

Have your client attempt again and verify that "Optimize for Internet Delivery" is unchecked.

Try uploading a large file yourself (1 GB or larger) and verify the delivery posts successfully. It could be an issue that only shows itself with large files.

If none of that helps, you may want to have your client try uploading from a different location. This could be an intermittent connection issue on her side of the connection.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 AM

She definitely has the most recent version of the client software, and I'll suggest that she try a wired connection, because she probably was using wireless. For the time being, she's using her X-Drive account (see www.xdrive.com), and she's moving on to other work that she has to do today.

There really should be a way for the DigiDelivery admin to see what's going on with the server, specifically deliveries that are in the midst of uploading, deliveries that have failed and why they failed. I should not have to put my client in the position of troubleshooting my DigiDelivery.

I've tested a 6.34GB delivery and it's working fine from here, but that's transferring over my LAN, not the internet. Jon Connolly was nice enough to test from his office with a small delivery and it worked fine, too. I'm about to get in my car and drive to another location and try over the actual internet, wired and wireless, large and small.

All of this is pointing to her connection, but she hasn't had any problems using X-Drive or Fetch on the same connection, which leads to my non-rhetorical question:

Why is DigiDelivery more picky than Fetch or X-Drive about the client's internet connection?

I spent the money for this to make my clients' lives easier, and I'm not seeing so far how that goal is going to be achieved.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Avid

I've definitely not heard of this kind of problem before - any update?

The fact that the client says "cannot connect to server" repeatedly then eventually works sounds like a DNS problem. I'm assuming you have a static IP address for your server, correct?

Also, why would you give her an "https" address instead of the http address? Do you have an SSL certificate installed on your server? In either case, I don't think you would ever need to give out an https address - it should just switch to https automatically (could be wrong about this one).
Old 09-19-2006, 05:42 AM

Thanks for asking, Gordon. The most likely culprit is the wireless connection at the client's end, although I may never know because this particular client has opted for her x-drive. My server has passed all the tests that I, or Digi, has been able to throw at it.

I have also received an answer to my question about why DigiDelivery is more picky than "open internet" applications. I can't remember what it was word for word, but the gist is that the added security and speed of DigiDelivery comes at a price.

Personally, I still feel instinctively that the DigiDelivery server should be capable of at least as much as free or nearly free applications, but I can accept that there are technical limitations beyond my understanding.

It does bring to mind feauture requests, though:
[*]the DigiDelivery client should have the option of choosing a less secure, slower "open internet" delivery. Should the administrator choose, they should have the option not to allow this kind of delivery to/from their server, but the option should be available.
[*]I'm also still 100% on the bandwagon who wants a meaningful log that includes what time clients logged on to the server and how many bytes were transferred before the delivery failed and for what reason it failed. If nothing else, that would have lowered my blood pressure that morning.