Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-19-2023, 10:46 PM

Default Hd tdm

HELLO!
I NEED TO KNOW IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME HOW TO FIX MY RECORDING EQUIPMENT WITH THE NEW PRO TOOLS ULTIMATE UPDATES, IF MY EQUIPMENT IS COMPATIBLE, NOW I WILL LIST THEM FOR YOU.
MAC PRO 4.1 OS 10.7.5 AND MAC PRO 5.1 OS 10.13.6
MY INTERFACES ARE....
1 192 DIGIDESING
2 PRE DIGIDESING
1 HD PCIe accel CARD
1 hd core card
how can I make it work... is it compatible??? Thanks for your help. I'll be on the lookout.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Hd tdm

The last version of Pro Tools that these HD TDM cards was supported in is Pro Tools 10 HD, released way back in 2011. None of these cards are in any way compatible with any current version of Pro Tools.

The DigiLink interfaces can be made to run if you can find a now discontinued HD Native PCIe card of HD Native Thunderbolt or want to spend $5k-$10k or so or so to set up a HDX card based system. Any DigiLink interface like the 192 require you be using Pro Tools Ultimate at significant higher cost than other options. The Pre is probably best described as meh, not terrible, not great. Lots of other different preamp options out there.

Unless you have a need for compatibility with this old gear you are much better off just getting a modern USB or Thunderbolt interface from any number of good third party vendors and a modern Mac or PC computer running a modern OS with Pro Tools Intro (free), Artist, Studio or Ultimate, you pick the version based on software features you want.

A Mac Pro 5,1 can be upgraded, maybe with some hacking, to recent versions of macOS, can be upgraded with NVMe internal drives, etc. so still quite a nice platform to play with assuming it's got a good enough CPU config and memory capacity. If you are not technical/not up for poking around with one of these you might be better off buying a current Mac Mini or other modern Mac. All these Intel Macs are on a death watch given Apple has almost completed the move to Apple Silicon Systems. You might have as little as a couple of years left of macOS and Pro Tools updates on these systems. Unless you are familiar with these systems (DigiLink setups, an old Mac Pro Cheesegrater) and require them for compatibility or familiarity reasons I would run far way from all this and just go buy a modern computer and USB or Thunderbolt interface. One options is to look at past sale prices on EBay and sell this stuff there to folks.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-19-2023 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Hd tdm

Mac Pro 4,1 is perfectly compatible with PT 10HD and the TDM HD cards. You'll need to connect the 192 via digilink cable to the Core card. and connect the PRE's into the 192 with dsubs. The Pre is actually a great preamp, lots of people put it down because it's is a nice clean pre. The latest OS that is qualified for PT10HD is 10.8, but it will work on 10.9, it was just never qualified by avid. I don't know if purchasing a Perpetual Ultimate license is still possible, but as of my last upgrade the license contained 10/11/12(aka 2020.12 I believe). I don't know anything about the subscription.

So yes it is possible with your equipment, but you need to contact avid about the software license.