Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 AM

Default PT's crashes after I close a session

A bit stumped by this one but its very frustrating having to restart everytime..
Machine specs are HD2, 192 i/o, Sync HD, D-Command, Mac Pro, OS 10.5.8, Harpertown 8-core, 8GB RAM, Protools HD v. 8.0.5, plugins are up-to-date as of 10 days ago.

Basically on this one session, as soon as I close it, ProTools beach balls and crashes. I've tried the following:
Deleted prefs etc
Passed all the disks through Diskwarrior and Tech Pro Tools in case of drive errors
Did a save copy in on the session
Deleted all fade files and had pt's rebuild them
Opening session with all plugins deactivated and then closing it

I'm at a loss and the only other culprit is a corrupt audio file but how do you find it? Its not like plugins where you can introduce them one at a time (there's 1000 files!)
Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 05:39 AM

Default Re: PT's crashes after I close a session

A suggestion....

Open session, delete one track at a time. Clear unused audio files. close session. Eventually you may delete a track/clear audio and the session closes fine. Make note of which track it is. If this works, then make a new track, and pipe the audio from Bad Track into New Track, and record it as a take. Whack the bad track/Remove unused audio/Clear and do a Save Session Copy. I've done this when I had a corrupt track or two. pain in the butt. but better than nothing.

Two quick qs.... is this a 2TB Hitachi drive? And was the session created in an earlier v of PT? Sorry if you mentioned this earlier.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Personally I would create a new session and import session data from the original session, 8 (or so) tracks at a time. At some point the culprit will raise its ugly head, and you'll be able to narrow it down from 1 of 8 tracks....
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks guys. Both good suggestions that i'll give a shot - import session track by track hadn't occurred to me as a way to weed out the bad files.

Quote:
Two quick qs.... is this a 2TB Hitachi drive? And was the session created in an earlier v of PT? Sorry if you mentioned this earlier.
Session was all done on the same system/software version, video and audio are seperated out between a 1tb Seagate and 500Gb Western Digital.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Are you using Auto Tune EVO? Happens here on multiple systems virtually every time when using EVO
Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Are you using Auto Tune EVO? Happens here on multiple systems virtually every time when using EVO
Nope, I actually sold all but my Antares Mutator license a while back as those plugs used play havoc with sessions