Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2021, 01:15 PM

Default Re: To Big Sur

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
I say NO to Bug Sir!

Thank God I have have made a SuperDuper! image before I upgraded to Bug Sir. It had turned my ProTools dream machine (at least for me, 2018 macmini with eGPU and RME UFX+ firewire interface) into a SLUGGISH monster.

I have gotten into the habbit of upgrading my studio machine in August just before the next iteration of macOS drops to be sure I run into less problems with drivers and incompatible software.
Usually I need to install a couple of new fixes and upgrades from developers and usually I'm pretty much fine. (with the occasional planned obsolescence where I need to buy new stuff)

Now this year was different:

1. Both printers refused to work and both stole hours of digging through forum posts to get them back to work. Okay, we all know printer manufacturers will go straight to hell whenthey die, so that did not come as a shock. In the end I got it to work, but the kind of stuff I had to do in the terminal reminded me why I left Windows....Why Apple, why?

2. SLUGGISHNESS. My setup used to be a killer. I mean I could fire away key commands and it would react at hyper speed. In Big, Sur I can handdraw the waveforms (everything loaded into 40 Gigs of RAM allocated to PT with an eGPU to support the mac) and I would be faster than this crawler...

3. PT errors. PT tells me I am running out of CPU power. I have maybe 10 plugs on 8 tracks of audio no VIs. It is RIDICULOUS! (These sessions would take about 10% of CPU under Catalina. The same machine has been the center of my setup for Amazon originals mixes with a couple of added tracks and plugs....)

4. PT even crashes to the desktop during simple audio suite renders.

Okay, I have had enough. Back to Catalina. This OS is a nightmare for me.
Glad I’m not crazy …big sir and the last 2 updates have been a cluster f
Everything is slower …just enough to question if it was always this way
Which version of ProTools are you running on your Catalina machine

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]

Last edited by Rectifried; 10-20-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:50 PM

Default Re: To Big Sur

I’m rolling back to Catalina… Let’s see how that goes my year fee is up in November and I’m really questioning whether to continue because this last year Has been a waste of updates

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]