Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-25-2023, 04:40 PM

Default Tab to automation breakpoints..turn off ??

Hi all,

how can I turn this off in (Mac OS) Ultimate 2023.3 ? (=when i auto. view, tab now stops at every breakpoint in, say, the volume changes).

thanks..
Old 03-25-2023, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Tab to automation breakpoints..turn off ??

I saw that too.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:42 PM

My workaround:

Put the automation on another lane, and the main lane in waveform.

Then Tab to Transient follows the waveform. If you Tab to Transient on a lane with automation, it follows breakpoints.

I could see the desire to have an automation lane and tab to transient follow just the audio, but my workaround gives that functionality, just using two lanes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 21.40.41.jpg (30.9 KB, 0 views)
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 03-26-2023, 08:03 AM

That work around totally works. But this needs to be an option to turn off. If I'm doing dialog and say one phrase is coming in a little hot or a little low, I would click the start of the phrase and hit tab to go to the end of the region. Since it already has automation, going to the next breakpoint is asinine. Having a second automation lane open is clutter and lower resolution.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:13 AM

Yeah, two toggles, one for "Tab to transients",the other for "Tab to breakpoints" would give 4 modes of operation.

By "adding this new feature" they kept the original "turned off" state, broke the existing mode of operation, forced a mode some people clearly already hate.

With two toggles, all three modes mentioned would work, plus the fourth where you can tab through breakpoints but NOT transients.

The forced switch is clearly a bad design choice. "Oh let's make it simpler, one button, but changed behaviour and no option but to take this additional function out" -- ummm.... That wasn't thought through.

Two toggles and the rest of the implementation, regarding waveform vs automation lane visibility and focus, would make sense to me.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 03-27-2023, 05:46 AM

I would vote for a multi option button like ctrl+clicking the record button in the transport cycles through record modes.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:20 PM

More like a drop down with toggles similar to how you show/hide UI elements for example in the edit window (inserts, sends, instruments etc).
Old 03-27-2023, 03:09 PM

So they finally added tab to breakpoint but made it on all the time? Or is it tied to Tab to Transient?

Sorry I haven't and probably won't update for a while just trying to understand the feature.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
So they finally added tab to breakpoint but made it on all the time? Or is it tied to Tab to Transient?
Looks that way; I'm mostly in volume automation view and now - if I want to select the entire clip I'm in to DeClick, for example - I need to toggle to clip view first, then double click instead of being able to double click in whatever view I was in.

I'm sure this =feature= is yet another great addition to that yearly subscription "feed the beast" concept..but how hard is it to allow us to turn it off if we don't want it on all the time ?
Old 03-27-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post

Sorry I haven't and probably won't update for a while just trying to understand the feature.
It is not on all the time but is tied to Tab to Transient.

Hence my saying if each could toggle, when both were on it would have the current functionality and then some.

But some obviously want tab to transient on but tab to breakpoint off which would present with familiar functionality.

In addition to not being able to double click as before to select the whole clip, that seems like a collateral ouch.