Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 02-26-2023, 02:35 PM

Default C24 cue mix setup problem

Could someone in very simple steps explain to me how to set up a cue mix so I can use a send on the tracks and still use the internal talk back mic. I’ve read the manual and tried for 3 hours now and still no joy. I know analog out 7-8 is cue mix but when I plug this in to my HA4700 headphone amp I don’t hear anything. Is there any thing in the I/O page I need to setup/change

Thank you I’m advance

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 02-27-2023, 11:36 AM

Default Re: C24 cue mix setup problem

Once you get working phones, the way to get the onboard talkback mic to work is as easy as routing it to a physical input and assign to an AUX track in your session and add a send to that. Since I see no mention of the exact interface(s) you have, here's how I did this on my HDN rig that had pairs of 192 and HD IO's.
#1-Connections: the simplest is to choose a pair of outputs(any number, I started at the end of what was available) and patch those to the main inputs of the HP amp(HA4700 in your case).
#2-Route a stereo send to those outputs and add that send to all tracks and you SHOULD hear everything(sends up?) in the phones. Now you have a choice to make, and a small warning. The choice is: do you make the sends Pre or Post-fader. Pre-fader is fine as long as you spend the time to balance things well; Post-fader makes the phones mirror your CR mix(if all sends are at -0) and you can tweak from there. The small warning is; if the engineer wants to SOLO something, it can affect the HP mix by killing any effects(reverb/delay, bus compression) because the sends feeding those AUX tracks might be interrupted. Experiment with your SOLO settings as there may be one that counters this(my solution below)

Since your HP amp had aux inputs, its possible for you to provide 4 stereo HP mixes if you use 4 sends on every track and have available physical outputs. How easy depends on what interfaces you use(Digi/Avid Digilink units usually require special cables to be made because they MUST not allow the cold connection to be grounded). Assuming a 192(or similar) rewire a DB-25 to TRS cable so that the + of a pair connects to the T and R of a TRS plug, the shield connects to the sleeve and the - of those 2 outputs doesn't connect at all. That TRS plug no carries a stereo signal that can plug into an aux input on the HP amp to feed a stereo mix to one of the 4 sections(repeat as needed). Another option is using the outputs of a lightpipe unit that can run balanced or unbalanced. That way, you can use simple insert cables to feed the aux inputs(the kind with a TRS at one end and 2 TS plugs at the other end). I ended up going all the way to 6 stereo HP mixes on my rig(sends were all Pre-fade) and my tracking template was so well-dialed that I rarely spent more than 1 minute adjusting things for players(and then saving that session as a template for that act). If you care about the "SOLO" solution, PM me as this is getting too long already

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-27-2023, 02:14 PM

Thanks Albee. I’ve managed to get it working in the end. I was not plugging the cue out to the right place. From what I’ve read you can’t use the built in talk back mic for more than one separate mix if I’m correct. I might be wrong though

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 02-28-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Thanks Albee. I’ve managed to get it working in the end. I was not plugging the cue out to the right place. From what I’ve read you can’t use the built in talk back mic for more than one separate mix if I’m correct. I might be wrong though
If you use the default routing, then yes, you can only TB to that single mix. This is where skipping the C24 and routing as I described comes into play. With the TB mic on an AUX track, you can send it to as many sends as you like. I ran 4 TB mics(CR, Drum room, main room and producer's desk) and fed to 6 stereo HP mixes. Using Sound Radix Mute-o-Matic on the 4 AUX tracks allowed for full communications when play/record was stopped, and all were muted as soon as transport rolled. For me, recording full bands, it worked fantastic

BTW, another handy thing about the HA4700(and several other similar products) is that you(the engineer) can plug phones into the front panel and listen to all the mixes(which you probably already knew) I ultimately moved to the ART Headamp 6 Pro as that allowed all the patching to be done on the back

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave