How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 12-29-2022, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Future of our beloved Command/Icon console in the Apple silicon age

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Digidesign didn’t brute force the code for Digidesign Ethernet into Pro Tools… because that would be amateur hour stuff that first year undergraduates do out of pure naivety. This stuff exists as separate functions in Pro Tools that address mutual variables. EuCon works in exactly the same way. It has always been compartmentalised in code… but that doesn’t suddenly mean it “needs a driver”.

Icon desks never offered supported folders, because Avid never added a Digidesign Ethernet function for it. The same applies with object and Atmos panning. EuCon changes regularly not because Avid are “working around things”. They are adding compartmentalised functions…
But new functions sometimes need adjustment for older functions. And that has to be dealt with each time (we've already seen it.) I never suggested "drivers" but Apple does tinker with the network stack (why things breaks). There is maintenance that needs to be done to keep these older protocols working -- even at the current functionality.

The commands aren't "baked in at a fundamental level" as you first suggested. They are indeed compartmentalised. And they can be stripped out exactly for that reason.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:29 AM

Hi Guys,

Nice conversations here on the topic - thanks.

But I have yet another concern.

Imagen I had the money to buy a S4. Knowing what AVID has done with all the older consoles. What will happen as again a now protocol comes out ? Will they drop support for the Sx range as "quickly" (although 10 years is not quick) as they are doing now with the Icon range and have done with previous consoles and technology ?

When we invest the price of 1/3 of a house (Console, Avid MTRX and Input Cards etc... as the good old HD I/O is also out as of 12.31.2022) I want to know my investment will take me a loooooooong time. I understand that technology is changing but that doesn't mean it becomes "unworkable". It just needs some re-design/coding.

I did a quick calculation and to replace my "old" stuff I will need to invest more than 100k to have almost the same functionality. This is impossible for a lot of smaler studio's.

I love PT and what it brings to the table. Stability, everything interconnects, great functions, great support bases, etc... And on a MAC I rearly have issues (use to work with PC for years but now on MAC for about 5 years)

So please AVID, once again reconsider supporting the ICON for 5 years longer

With this I go out and start preps for the new year '23. Hoping I get some interesting gifts (hé maybe a S4 ? heheheheh)

With kind regards

Philippe

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE
Old 12-30-2022, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
But new functions sometimes need adjustment for older functions. And that has to be dealt with each time (we've already seen it.) I never suggested "drivers" but Apple does tinker with the network stack (why things breaks). There is maintenance that needs to be done to keep these older protocols working -- even at the current functionality.

The commands aren't "baked in at a fundamental level" as you first suggested. They are indeed compartmentalised. And they can be stripped out exactly for that reason.

You have your wires entirely crossed. Well written code is compartmentalised at a code level. It makes it easier to read. It makes it easier to maintain. It makes it easier to alter. Functions are one of the fundamental ways of doing that. They are simply small, compartmentalised subsets of code that take defined inputs, do *something*, then return an output.

To suggest that the Digidesign Ethernet Protocol isn't baked in at a fundamental level in the way you are, is to suggest that nothing in Pro Tools is baked in... because the whole application will be made up of small, discrete functions for everything.

There is really no way in hell Avid have been maintaining the Digidesign Ethernet protocol for almost 5 years from when support officially ended. It works because it is compartmentalised as separate functions in the code. It doesn't care it folder tracks are added... or atmos mixing is altered... or Melodyne ARA is coded in... or the hybrid engine suddenly exists.

Avid have disabled this because... they are Avid. In all reality, Avid are going to be knocking out universal binary versions of Pro Tools for several years to come, complete with Digidesign Ethernet code still in place. There will just be a little flag that disables it when launched in Apple Silicon... because that is the path of least resistance.

It is amazing how this kind of stink and "struggle" seems to only follow Avid around.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:12 AM

ICON user here as well. Actually, when we wanted to upgrade our second mix studio, the s6 was already released, but the software was so unstable we opted for another ICON. We have 4 in total. The thing about audio post is, the sessions can get bigger, the plugins more advanced and cpu hungry, the computers are upgraded to accommodate, but the amount of faders I can handle at once roughly stays the same. I've been ok with 24-32 faders for about 15 years and don't need any more in the next 15. So upgrading the ICON to a s6 means investing about 100K to be able to do exactly the same

Let's see how long Apple Silicon and Protools on rosetta will last...
Old 01-09-2023, 03:39 PM

if i have to go to a PC I will. I love my icon.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:13 PM

I laughed myself silly when I realized how easy it was to move from a Mac to a PC.