Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 12-27-2022, 12:26 PM

Default Future of our beloved Command/Icon console in the Apple silicon age

I am a bit disappointed the ICON Control surfaces wont be able to connect to an silicon-Native version of ProTools Ultimate. Not sure when AVID will completely change to Native (and ditch Mac-Intel completely) but one can only assume this is a logical way they will go for future development (pretty sure they will not continue to develop 3 different OS's (Win- MACOS and Silicon Mac))

This means I have to invest heavily into a new console if I want to change my MacPro into a new M(x)-silicon enabled MAC computer ! I'm sorry but don't have that 60K investment lay-ing around these days to make a switch to S4 or even S6 :-(

What makes it even worse is that WINDOWS computers will still be able to use the Control surface (until AVID breaks that connection offcourse) and recieve updates.

Do I have to switch to Windows again ? MAC has brought me so much joy ;-)

Although I understand the switch to Silicon Native. AVID will lose a big part of there clients who still use a Command/ICON control surface.

I do urge AVID to consider updating there strategy and transfer the Command/icon interface into the new Native system.

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE
Old 12-27-2022, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Future of our beloved Command/Icon console in the Apple silicon age

This sucks, and feels like an unnecessary omission. I think there is still quite a large user base who invested heavily in these things and aren't looking at buying into the S series which are probably half way through whatever life cycle they will be allowed to have. Maybe some pushback will help like it did with the "Blue Interfaces" some years ago?
Old 12-27-2022, 03:25 PM

Don't think they'll care...I'm sure all the Enterprise partners are running S series controllers, and if they aren't they'll just ditch the icons they have and replace them. They're the ones Avid listens to...
Old 12-27-2022, 04:37 PM

To some of us the ICON was the only reason we renewed our PT Ultimate licenses
the S series lacks the dedicated dynamics and eq section the Icons have
and those who have work on an ICON know well that is a deal breaker.
paying a huge price tag to end up degrading the workflow would be ridiculous

My guess is that a lot of Icon based studios will be switching to a different DAW after this AVID move.

Neyrinck knows this VERY well
Their front page today its all about D-Command - UAD LUNA support.

https://neyrinck.com

My studio has a couple of UAD Apollos so I do have a Luna license for free which I never used, I bet Im not the only one who will finally give it a shot now that AVID is forcing us
Old 12-27-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro7419 View Post
Neyrinck knows this VERY well
Their front page today its all about D-Command - UAD LUNA support.

https://neyrinck.com
That's been Neyrinck's front page since at least Jan 21 of 2022. Almost a full year.

As for pressure on the blue interfaces, no, customers did not make anything change. Avid lied about those interfaces not working. Users figured out they worked (because 3rd party interfaces used the same protocol and they worked.) That's it. No change happened.

The old consoles are dead. The Neyrinck plugin will allow them to work with Pro Tools into the future as much as any other DAW. Just not as a native controller.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:30 PM

Id switch to an S1 Dock combo rather than V-control. It's a great effort for what it does, but you can do an awful more with Eucon. If your business is based around Pro Tools and working with other studios like the post industry is, you're not gonna switch to Luna. Equipment evolves and people move on, it's great they've run for this long after becoming non supported hardware. They still do work on Rosetta and on Windows, so it won't be as big a deal for some as it is for others. Every year something comes up that has people saying all these people are going to leave PT as a result, but they never do..
Old 12-27-2022, 07:32 PM

I won't say whether I agree or disagree.

But it shouldn't be a surprise. Those consoles are so long out of support no matter how much people like them. Avid didn't really have a good technical reason to stop supporting them before. It would have been perceived as spiteful. But moving to a new platform gives them that distinguishing break, where they can claim they can't spare the resources to port it.

I don't know that's what they're doing but it's probably what I would do.

I also would not switch to Windows just for Icon support. It could end at any time to bring parity with the Mac version. Maybe they'll leave it as an Intel-only feature? We still don't know how long they'll provide Intel Mac support for PT as a whole (do we?)
Old 12-27-2022, 09:43 PM

Personally, I have developed very little tolerance for the whole artificial obsolescence thing. To push functional, serviceable and highly fit-for-purpose equipment out the door for no other reason than 'just because' really is nothing but corporate greed. It is a real epidemic through the industry at enterprise levels. I have been in building that have music studios full of 40 or 50 year old equipment and audio consoles, but one floor up they will roll out a totally functional $80,000 desk after 10 years and bring in a new one that does basically exactly the same thing.

I can't really see how this helps Avid in the long run. The S6 is already a year older than the D-Control was when it was canned. The S3 and S3L have already been axed from sales. Unless Avid have something new on the immediate horizon, this seems to be nothing more than a really blunt reminder of Avid's modus operandi when it comes to the risks of investing heavily in their hardware. It is hard to imagine S4 or S6 sales are going to increase because of this.

As someone who has been umming and arghing over Apple Silicon for the last 12 months, this announcement has definitely simplified things. I imagine Avid will probably pull ICON support entirely from Pro Tools by the time Rosetta 2 support ends in MacOS. I'm just going to bunker down on Intel and see how it all pans out. There doesn't seem to be much to gain from moving to Apple Silicon at all...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:56 PM

Hello all,
Pardon my ignorance on this matter, as up until a few hours ago my C24 was "legal".
Now, Im hearing it wont be with the new silicon builds.

will the Neyrinck fixes a lot of you have been you work moving forward with silicon PT?

and if so, do we know if my C24 will be useable?

thanks in advance.

Best,
Sean

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 12-27-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McDude View Post
Hello all,
Pardon my ignorance on this matter, as up until a few hours ago my C24 was "legal".
Now, Im hearing it wont be with the new silicon builds.

will the Neyrinck fixes a lot of you have been you work moving forward with silicon PT?

and if so, do we know if my C24 will be useable?

thanks in advance.

Best,
Sean
Technically your C24 is still as legal as it ever has been (works under Windows, works under MacOS on Intel machines, works under Rosetta 2 on Apple Silicon machines). It won't be supported in native Apple Silicon builds though... which *might* mean it is headed for the door on other platforms sooner rather than later.

Neyrinck provides HUI-level functionality. I find it a handy tool for controlling Reaper or Nuendo from my D-Command, but personally I would be sticking with Intel or Rosetta 2 to run Pro Tools for as long as I could. HUI integration isn't anywhere near as deep as EuCON or Digidesign Ethernet.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.