Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 07-30-2022, 03:45 AM

Default D-Command faders not working

I wonder if anyone has experienced the problems I am currently getting with my blue D-Command.

I was in the middle of a session yesterday when suddenly, all eight faders on my D-Command main unit stopped working. Everything else continued to work fine.

Changes made on my PC are recognized by the D-Command and the fader levels on the scribble strip continue to change, but the faders do nothing at all. I can't program any automation from the faders either. They are dead.

My first instinct was to swap out the power supply that supplies the faders with power, a Skynet SNP-Z107 but to my surprise, nothing changed.

As all eight faders have stopped working, I'm guessing it might be a grounding problem or maybe a surface mounted fuse on a PCB somewhere, but I've no idea where to begin looking.

Has anyone come across something similar happen to them?
Old 08-10-2022, 10:54 AM

Default Re: D-Command faders not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab780 View Post
I wonder if anyone has experienced the problems I am currently getting with my blue D-Command.

I was in the middle of a session yesterday when suddenly, all eight faders on my D-Command main unit stopped working. Everything else continued to work fine.

Changes made on my PC are recognized by the D-Command and the fader levels on the scribble strip continue to change, but the faders do nothing at all. I can't program any automation from the faders either. They are dead.

My first instinct was to swap out the power supply that supplies the faders with power, a Skynet SNP-Z107 but to my surprise, nothing changed.

As all eight faders have stopped working, I'm guessing it might be a grounding problem or maybe a surface mounted fuse on a PCB somewhere, but I've no idea where to begin looking.

Has anyone come across something similar happen to them?

Hi,

Have you checked the ribbon cable?

You've swapped the PSU so that rules that out.

I would try a NEW install of pro tools to rule out software and driver corruption. Just install a new PT install on a clean partition or hard drive and just check to see if that shows anything!! befoe going any further...

If you've done all above then you'll probably looking at the logic board and getting a tech to look at it. Lee Engineering in the UK might be you're best bet for a fix.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:16 PM

Hmmm, I vaguely remember a "silent" mode where hardware faders could be disabled for those that hated the clatter, but having never used that feature, I never dug for it and have no idea where one would look, but it might be worth scouring the prefs and Options menus at minimum(in case its a key command that you accidentally hit)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-11-2022, 05:27 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I have tried both the re-installation and now checked for the faders being switched off in the Preferences menu, but both to no avail.

Something I have noticed is that in the Utility menu, the FW version for the console is showing version 10.0.0, but the Motor FW version is blank. I am sure that this was also reading v10.0.0 some time ago.

Is there any way I can download a new version of the D-Command FW from anywhere other than Pro Tools as it loads? Clearly, the D-Command is not reading the FW correctly as it loads or there is another problem preventing the Motor FW working.

Any ideas anyone??
Old 08-11-2022, 06:15 AM

Have you gone into the Utility menu and done the fader tests? Do any of the fader tests do anything?

The few times I've had these problems a recal always fixed it for me. But it sounds like maybe you have a bigger problem.

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFilterLab View Post
Have you gone into the Utility menu and done the fader tests? Do any of the fader tests do anything?

The few times I've had these problems a recal always fixed it for me. But it sounds like maybe you have a bigger problem.

Good Luck
You most likely have a blown fader PSU.

Call these guys.

https://advancedmusical.com/

Or

http://www.leeeng.co.uk/
Old 08-11-2022, 08:56 AM

Unfortunately, none of the fader tests in the Utility menu do anything. The faders on the main unit all appear to be dead. Those on the 16 Channel expansion module continue to work fine.

The lights for automation, alongside each fader on the main unit still work perfectly, but obviously, I can write automation with the physical faders.

As I mentioned, I have tried swapping out the Fader motor PSU, but that had no effect either.

I am beginning to think that it may be a firmware problem because when I access the Utilities menu, I can see the Console is showing up as v10, but there is no version showing for the Motor functions. I am sure this used to show up as v10 also.

Does anyone know how I can restore these values, so that the Motor control can be restored to V10 too.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab780 View Post
Unfortunately, none of the fader tests in the Utility menu do anything. The faders on the main unit all appear to be dead. Those on the 16 Channel expansion module continue to work fine.

The lights for automation, alongside each fader on the main unit still work perfectly, but obviously, I can write automation with the physical faders.

As I mentioned, I have tried swapping out the Fader motor PSU, but that had no effect either.

I am beginning to think that it may be a firmware problem because when I access the Utilities menu, I can see the Console is showing up as v10, but there is no version showing for the Motor functions. I am sure this used to show up as v10 also.

Does anyone know how I can restore these values, so that the Motor control can be restored to V10 too.

Hi,

There is no way to simply revert the firmware seperately. its not showing FW because its not able to read the motor or controller board for the motor.

If you're sure the PSU is ok then it sounds like a board fault or cable. You'll need to get a tech to look at it.

Before though! you have definatley cleaned and re-seated the cables and connections?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the advice Chris.

I will check all of the connections once the current session has finished.

Years ago, I owned a Pro Control and that often had problems with Molex connections becoming slightly unseated and that caused all sorts of problems with bizarre flashing LED's. I was kinda hoping that the same problems would re-occur with the D-Command.

Do you have any ideas where I might be able to source replacement boards or ribbon cables should the fault be more that connectors coming adrift?
Old 08-14-2022, 05:44 AM

I posted two links above for Avid authorized service centers. One of them in the UK.