Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2022, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.9 "Saving ARA Data"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Sheesh.

This very much falls into the “easy for me to say” category, but it seems crazy this hasn’t been fixed by now.
As I mentioned above in the post-scriptum : I deleted the Pro Tools preferences, as it is often advised, and it's been better since. We'll see with use, but there's a big difference.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-30-2022, 05:55 AM

Seems like we collectively delete preferences so often it makes you wonder why Tools bothers saving any preferences at all.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Seems like we collectively delete preferences so often it makes you wonder why Tools bothers saving any preferences at all.
Indeed! These are daily preferences...
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 01-10-2023, 04:58 PM

I appreciate knowing this problem is widespread and the wise obvious suggestion to go back to using the plugin format. This is frustrating in it's own ways, but way better than using the ARA mess.
This seems like a dark time for ProTools. The ARA thing and Apple silicon... I've had this understanding that they are absurdly slow(like last place in the DAW race) to adapt to important new advancements because they are making sure the changes are fully tested and stable. Solid integration for professional environments. I don't know what's going on now but all I know is ProTools has been having some serious issues lately with it's official releases. ARA was clearly not ready for prime time. And Silicon Apple... ? Maybe they're not focusing as much on Rosetta and more on the Native cpu version moving forward. I hope so.
Ideascale. Looks like that went away a while ago. The thing on Avid Link is nothing like it was. Oh well. I'll create a support ticket, ,,,

Last edited by Felix; 01-11-2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:07 PM

Anyone updated to PT 2023.3 to see it fixed this issue?
Old 03-26-2023, 01:22 AM

Yes. Issue persists. And now we have even bigger issues. Melodyne data creating in 2022.12 in some cases being lost or artifacted in 2023.3. Started another thread about that
Old 03-26-2023, 02:19 AM

I love the old “not only did we not fix the problem….we made it even worse” school of programming.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:12 PM

Hello, I have the same issue on protools 2023.3.
«*saving ARA data*» everytime.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramiafreddie View Post
Hello, I have the same issue on protools 2023.3.
«*saving ARA data*» everytime.
same here

now I´m avoiding to work with ARA Melodyne, instead instanciating the "old" Melodyne plugin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 04-11-2023, 12:22 PM

So here is the thing. This issue needs to be resolved. I really really really hope that Avid does not think the "Saving Ara Data" lag is acceptable. It is a complete distraction to the workflow process.

Here's the thing. Why didn't the plugin version ever cause this to be an issue. I have Massive sessions with 20+ instances of the plugin that run very smooth and Pro Tools never has to freeze and I have never lost any Melodyne edits.

One thing I have been doing is working on keeping the ARA data as small as possible. This means that every time I use Melodyne, I only select the segment I am needing Melodyned and then rendering a new clip for that section (option-shift-3) and then activating Melodyne on that small section. This avoids Melodyne importing the audio for the whole clip. This typically works great until I finally hit the threshold of too much ARA data where now every time you edit any clip that has Melodyne Data in it, the session will have to freeze for 3 seconds randomly at the point that the session auto-saves.

What I don't get is that after you hit the threshold, any Melodyne edit of any kind is permanently a 3 second pause no matter what. I have gone through and rendered all of the Melodyne edits on the clips and turned off Melodyne everywhere. So at this point, the ARA data should be extremely small and not need a long ARA Save.

However, if I create a tiny clip to perform Melodyne on it and then hit save, it once again, takes 3 seconds to save. This doesn't logically make sense to me? Also...where is the ARA data being saved to that requires such a long pause?

On top of this, to have the new 2023.3 update automatically render Melodyne on everything on a track that is Tick based almost guarantees everyone using Tick based tracks to be stuck in the 3 seconds to save mode.

Please Avid! Don't leave us hanging with this. It really isn't acceptable to have these pauses. I understand that only requiring the save when something is edited with an ARA clip was an attempt to fix it. But a simple trim or fade added to any Melodyne'd clip requires another 3 second pause.

Please Please Please don't settle with the current solution.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio