Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 08-14-2022, 12:05 PM

Default Re: D-Command faders not working

Thanks very much its2loud.

I had already swapped out the fader power supply and this made no difference, so I'm narrowing the problem down slowly, looking for suspect boards or cables primarily.

I will certainly check out your links once I am closer to finding out where the fault lies.

Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:50 PM

Have you got a multimeter handy? I would check for continuity between the fader PSU heatsink and ground/chassis of both the new and old (once reinstalled) supplies just to make sure they are the same. Sager has a strange habit of sometimes configuring/insulating their PSUs different between production runs. The Avid supplies float all of the transistors from the grounded heat sinks using thermal insulation pads. A lot of Sager replacements tie the transistors directly to the heatsinks which get grounded when installed in the D Command.

In the latter, grounding the heat sinks will also drag the voltage rails down and it will look exactly like the PSU has failed again. It can also be accompanied by a lot of audible transformer buzzing. Running it in this configuration for any decent period of time will fry the PSU.

Factory resets can also solve a lot of weird issues.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:20 AM

That's very interesting LDS. I hadn't heard of problems like that before.

I will check both of the PSU's before going any further.

To be honest, I don't think that is the problem here because I have swapped the supplies between the Main unit and a 16 channel fader pack and both PSU's work with the fader pack perfectly, suggesting that the fault is not with the PSU at all.

I will run the check though, just to make absolutely sure.
Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:19 AM

OK A little bit of an update on the fader problems I've been having.

Today I swapped the Fader Motor Controller board from the faulty eight channels (Faders 1 to 8) to one of the working sections (Faders 17 to 24)
The problem followed the FMC across to channels 17-24 suggesting its the FMC itself that has the problem.

Has anyone had issues with FMC cards on older D-Commands in the past? Are they user serviceable? I have e-mailed Lee Engineering here in the UK, but I'm still waiting for a response.

Also, does anyone know if new FMC's are still available for older blue D-Commands and if so, how much they might cost for someone in the UK?
Old 08-16-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab780 View Post
OK A little bit of an update on the fader problems I've been having.

Today I swapped the Fader Motor Controller board from the faulty eight channels (Faders 1 to 8) to one of the working sections (Faders 17 to 24)
The problem followed the FMC across to channels 17-24 suggesting its the FMC itself that has the problem.

Has anyone had issues with FMC cards on older D-Commands in the past? Are they user serviceable? I have e-mailed Lee Engineering here in the UK, but I'm still waiting for a response.

Also, does anyone know if new FMC's are still available for older blue D-Commands and if so, how much they might cost for someone in the UK?
you might need to buy another used d-command for parts. I am contemplating the same for my d control as I really like the icons.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:26 AM

You're correct, Arche3. I think a 'donor' D-Command might be a good investment.

Trouble is, since COVID the price of a used unit seems to have gone up quite a bit here in the UK. I guess people started to work from home more and these controllers are so compact, yet versatile, they are still very popular and well liked by end users.

When you compare the prices to current Avid products with similar features, its easy to see that many users simply can't afford to upgrade Hopefully prices will begin to fall back to pre-pandemic levels shortly.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:15 AM

Another quick question regarding the FMC.... Does anyone know if the FMC used in the D-Command is the same part as used in the D-Control?

Are they interchangeable? I guess they are doing exactly the same job, but would an FMC removed from a D-Control work in a D-Command?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Old 11-11-2022, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab780 View Post
Another quick question regarding the FMC.... Does anyone know if the FMC used in the D-Command is the same part as used in the D-Control?

Are they interchangeable? I guess they are doing exactly the same job, but would an FMC removed from a D-Control work in a D-Command?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi,

Sorry i know its a bit late of a reply. But i doubt they are the same as the D Control uses different faders so expect there would be differences. Don't know for sure though so if anyone knows for sure it would be good to know.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:24 AM

Having continued my quest for a replacement Fader Motor Controller board, I too discovered that the boards made for the D-Control are NOT the same as the D-Command.

The faders used by the D-Control are made by Penny & Giles, while the D-Command faders are an Alps design. While they use exactly the same multipin connections, they function entirely differently and are not cross compatible.

The FMC for the D-Control is also completely different. Its also physically bigger than the D-Command board, so it will not comfortably fit inside the D-Command case.

I finally managed to source a replacement board for my D-Command from Ben and Tim at Resurface in London. Its now once again working just as it should.