Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2023, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Is Waves committing a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Well lets see if it works. I saw one user who went subscription and lost ALL of his perpetual licenses.

Have to see what happens.

That’s definitely not supposed to happen.

Even if you subscribe to their new service, if you have perpetual licenses, they remain. They have to fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
That’s definitely not supposed to happen.

Even if you subscribe to their new service, if you have perpetual licenses, they remain. They have to fix that.

IT was a youtube user who documented it. So it was a little scary if they rolled it out wrong in multiple ways.
Almost every plugin
Old 03-30-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
They’re not taking away ownership of your perpetual licenses. They’re taking away the ability to update your Perpetual licenses. Thus making them useless after a certain point due to OS updates or DAW updates.

Not defending this action at all. It’s questionable business practice for sure and the uproar will continue for a bit. Whether or not they flex as a result is to be determined.

Based on reactions so far, it’s not going favorably for Waves.
Clearly Waves got the message!

Old 03-30-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Clearly Waves got the message!
This one, yes.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:55 PM

Just went into my Waves account and there’s no way to update to Mercury as I planned for later this spring and my WUP is $469 because of a few V14 plugins I have with expirations later this year. Plugin-Alliance has offered “22” via email that offers all their plugins as perpetual licenses for $799 or 10 installments of $79 & change. Thinking hard about this along with some Sonnox plugins and some Massenburg stuff. Waves with the exception of a few items are really substandard to other makers these days. The only stuff I’ll probably use from Waves going forward is the V9.92 which is the last that had TDM plugins for my HD4 TDM rig.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 03-31-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
Just went into my Waves account and there’s no way to update to Mercury as I planned for later this spring and my WUP is $469 because of a few V14 plugins I have with expirations later this year. Plugin-Alliance has offered “22” via email that offers all their plugins as perpetual licenses for $799 or 10 installments of $79 & change. Thinking hard about this along with some Sonnox plugins and some Massenburg stuff. Waves with the exception of a few items are really substandard to other makers these days. The only stuff I’ll probably use from Waves going forward is the V9.92 which is the last that had TDM plugins for my HD4 TDM rig.
This all sounds very wrong - the WUP is capped at $240pa IIRC. Obvs if plugins are still active they don’t need another WUP yet anyway unless you are paying for years in advance. You only need a WUP for an OS update should it otherwise break your plugs, absolutely no need to spend that kind of money here.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-01-2023, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
This all sounds very wrong - the WUP is capped at $240pa IIRC. Obvs if plugins are still active they don’t need another WUP yet anyway unless you are paying for years in advance. You only need a WUP for an OS update should it otherwise break your plugs, absolutely no need to spend that kind of money here.

I think WUP can go higher than the $240 figure if you have overlapping plugins/bundles. I recall having that issue once and I think when I looked into it, that’s what it stated.

Odd. I only needed to WUP a particular bundle and it had defaulted to selecting all plugins.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I think WUP can go higher than the $240 figure if you have overlapping plugins/bundles. I recall having that issue once and I think when I looked into it, that’s what it stated.

Odd. I only needed to WUP a particular bundle and it had defaulted to selecting all plugins.

The only logical thing is that the v14 plugins you’d be buying ANOTHER year - so the expiration date would be more than 12 months from now. I did notice when I logged in every box had been ticked by default for everything I own.

I was pretty surprised in Mike Thornton’s PTE article that he said he renewed every year. Why on earth would anyone do that? It’s almost certainly cheaper to buy 2nd licenses than pay the WUP just for that subscription benefit of a 2nd license. It made me wonder how many other people stay up to date for a misplaced feeling that it’s “the right thing to do” or something. Do you NEED to WUP to make a plugin work on your system? If the answer is no, don’t buy it. End of.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-01-2023, 01:45 AM

Default Is Waves committing a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
The only logical thing is that the v14 plugins you’d be buying ANOTHER year - so the expiration date would be more than 12 months from now. I did notice when I logged in every box had been ticked by default for everything I own.
Yeah, that’s what it was.

Quote:
I was pretty surprised in Mike Thornton’s PTE article that he said he renewed every year. Why on earth would anyone do that? It’s almost certainly cheaper to buy 2nd licenses than pay the WUP just for that subscription benefit of a 2nd license. It made me wonder how many other people stay up to date for a misplaced feeling that it’s “the right thing to do” or something. Do you NEED to WUP to make a plugin work on your system? If the answer is no, don’t buy it. End of.
Yeah that had me scratching my head too. I mean, if you’ve got a bundle that routinely gets new plugins added to it, that’s one thing. He may fall into that camp. But I thought we were all aware that WUP is only required when you have compatibility issues which TBF, Waves have caused me the least grief in that regard throughout the years.

He also had a very odd response when I asked why he didn’t authorise to a USB thumbdrive and treat it like an iLok between his studio and laptop. He’s not going to be running both simultaneously so I would have thought that would be the easiest option. Not to mention cheaper. It’s what I do.

Each to their own I guess.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:06 PM

The overlap is correct. Got a V14 bundle that expires in September so all the old plugins would update for more than a year. One reason I was hoping to upgrade to Mercury later, I've been offered that upgrade for $650 or so lately and that includes a year of WUP. Like I said, they're not getting any more money from me.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6

Last edited by Sugarnutz; 04-01-2023 at 06:45 PM.