Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Altiverb vs. IR-1

Hi there, I was wondering if any of you guys would like to give me some feedback about which plug-in has more potential. Any preferences? Altiverb vs. Waves IR-1.
Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Altiverb vs. IR-1

TL Space is another option
Old 09-30-2004, 04:08 PM

I am using TL Space and very happy with it, especially on TDM. It's the best convoluton reverb out there for Pro Tools.

Altiverb has a nice library and pretty pictures, but lacks any real control over the reverb. It was state of the art when it came out years ago but I have been unimpressed by the updates in the last few years. Also Altiverb has no TDM or Ilok support.

I don't like the sound of IR-1 personally, although other people seem to love it. $1200 for a native plug was too rich for me.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:30 PM

I bought IR-1 first when i needed a really nice reverb for a solo piano CD i was mixing. Like the sound, like the flexibility, but was a little underwhelmed with the library, and found it difficult to import convolutions. Ended up also buying Altiverb after the new version came out. Bigger library, easier on CPU cycles, more convolutions on the web. Still use both, but tend to run with Altiverb more often now.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Also Altiverb has no TDM
Altiverb runs in HTDM -- so for those with processor power to spare, this is not an issue. In fact, it's nice to off-load some DSP to the main CPU - freeing up TDM dsp for tdm only processing, and using HTDM for some waves plugs and altiverb.

I agree that iLok support would be a bonus.

I just finished mixing a project this week and used Altiverb extensively... quite satisfied with the sound I was able to get out of it and performance issues with version 4 are signicant improvements over prior versions.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:37 AM

well, i A/B'd Altiverb vs. IR-1 with a friend at his studio. we definitely concluded that IR-1 sounded better. it is also more bang for your buck and probably has a better support network. that being said, it's so resource intensive that you have to print the reverb unless you have a dual processor. but going strictly on sonics, we felt pretty strongly that IR-1 was the better of the 2.

ps - though i have to say that Altiverb is no slouch. it's definitely a nice sounding reverb and could have it's place in any studio.

--
lance