Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-12-2017, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Avid Core Audio with HDX/HD Native on Yosemite/later Mac OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
Why is that the way it should be? I for one would like to use Spotify, SoundMiner and Pro Tools at the same time using the Omni HD output. As I can do now with PT HDN 12.5.2 and the new HD 12.7.1 driver, but not with Pro Tools 12.7 and HD 12.7.1 driver on my HDX system.

BTW, Avid lists this under "Known issues". Things defined as an issue implies a fix sometimes in the future, doesn't it?

Stein Tore
My Bad then Stein,

But let me understand.

You can have Pro tools HD software open with playback engine HD Driver, and have the audio midi setup using the same hardware for you using listen Spotify, Soundminer, iTunes, etc...
Is that it?

Or you're using the Pro tools aggregate device where the HD Driver is there and in the Pro tools you can select that aggregate device and use all those app at the same time?

(I never ever used the Avid core audio, I always used a digital cable from my mac pro to my optical spdif in of my Interface, and I can have Pro tools open, and all the other 3rd party apps at the same time. And even with PT Closed, HD omni have a offline mixer where you can route spdif to you main Monitor and Headphones)

Check Image

But yet, it nice that Avid is doing this tweaks to the new driver.

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 04-13-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo View Post
My Bad then Stein,

But let me understand.

You can have Pro tools HD software open with playback engine HD Driver, and have the audio midi setup using the same hardware for you using listen Spotify, Soundminer, iTunes, etc...
Is that it?
Yes, with Pro Tools 12.5.2 and the new HD Driver 12.7.1.

Quote:
Or you're using the Pro tools aggregate device where the HD Driver is there and in the Pro tools you can select that aggregate device and use all those app at the same time?
No, I don't use aggregate devices in my normal workflow.

Like you, I´ve been going digital from the mac to to the Omni interface in order to monitor offline. This works great on the Omni interface since it has that feature. However, I also have a HDX system with 192´s, which doesn't have that feature. In order to monitor Spotify, I have to use an aux input in Pro Tools. This is workable, but it would be so much more convenient if Spotify (or any other app) and Pro Tools could share the same physical output.

I guess it could be argued that this is some sort of safety net which stops other apps from interfering with what's coming from Pro Tools. But it would be nice to have a choice .

Stein Tore
Old 04-13-2017, 03:16 AM

Wow, strange considering the HD Driver isn't multi client yet. Will have to try this!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
Yes, with Pro Tools 12.5.2 and the new HD Driver 12.7.1.

No, I don't use aggregate devices in my normal workflow.

Like you, I´ve been going digital from the mac to to the Omni interface in order to monitor offline. This works great on the Omni interface since it has that feature. However, I also have a HDX system with 192´s, which doesn't have that feature. In order to monitor Spotify, I have to use an aux input in Pro Tools. This is workable, but it would be so much more convenient if Spotify (or any other app) and Pro Tools could share the same physical output.

I guess it could be argued that this is some sort of safety net which stops other apps from interfering with what's coming from Pro Tools. But it would be nice to have a choice .

Stein Tore
Ok,

I've tested it.

You loose all the DSP that your cards could use, it's using only i/o nothing more, no delay compensation for i/o in HD native, no 256 voices meter in system usage. The HD Omni in this mode it's Orange instead of Green as usual.

It's nice, but my trusty digital cable FOR ME it's the best choice :)

But thanks for the tip.

And I'm using PT 12.7.1 even if I'd like to use I couldn't ehehe

about HDX It could be that the card is more difficult to coding and bypass everything in DSP to only let pass audio without passing/using any DSP.

Cheers

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo View Post
Ok,

I've tested it.

You loose all the DSP that your cards could use, it's using only i/o nothing more, no delay compensation for i/o in HD native, no 256 voices meter in system usage. The HD Omni in this mode it's Orange instead of Green as usual.

It's nice, but my trusty digital cable FOR ME it's the best choice :)

But thanks for the tip.

And I'm using PT 12.7.1 even if I'd like to use I couldn't ehehe

about HDX It could be that the card is more difficult to coding and bypass everything in DSP to only let pass audio without passing/using any DSP.

Cheers
Interesting I tried the digital cable but unfortunately with the 2 channel limit on the OMNI, that meant I could not have my Bricasti M7 connected AES .
But the good news for me having PT open while playing 3rd party audio is not a requirement for me I just close PT

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-23-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 PM

Hey it’s Avid !!! You always have to pay 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2023, 08:40 PM

Not sure if anyone from AVID even reads this forum anymore, but if they do, I'd love to revive this thread and get an answer to why we still can't simultaneously use macOS Core Audio (System Audio) through an HDX card while Pro Tools is also open? Is it because of the DSP usage?

What is strange is that if I use Ableton or Logic I am able to use my HDX card as the output / audio interface and can also simultaneously run system audio through the HDX card.

As soon as you open Pro Tools though, the AVID HDX soundcard is no longer seen by the computer. It's such a disappointment and seems like something AVID could easily address in the software if other DAWS are capable of doing this; can someone from AVID help me understand why this happens?

Mobile: MBP Retina 2.6 HGz Intel Core i7 w 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 running macOS Catalina (10.15.7) w/ Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12

Studio: Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM running OS X 10.8.5 using Pro Tools v10.3.9 & v11.3.2 HDX w/ AVID HD I/O
Old 01-31-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman6 View Post
Not sure if anyone from AVID even reads this forum anymore, but if they do, I'd love to revive this thread and get an answer to why we still can't simultaneously use macOS Core Audio (System Audio) through an HDX card while Pro Tools is also open? Is it because of the DSP usage?

What is strange is that if I use Ableton or Logic I am able to use my HDX card as the output / audio interface and can also simultaneously run system audio through the HDX card.

As soon as you open Pro Tools though, the AVID HDX soundcard is no longer seen by the computer. It's such a disappointment and seems like something AVID could easily address in the software if other DAWS are capable of doing this; can someone from AVID help me understand why this happens?

I don't think coreaudio offers any functionality for DSP integration directly into DAW software. As a result, HDX uses a totally different driver to do it which is why it disappears from system sounds when Pro Tools is launched. As far as I am aware, this is the way all DAWs with integrated DSP work (Pro Tools HDX, UA Luna, Blackmagic Resolve CC-2, etc).

The flip side of this conversation is that no coreaudio based audio interface with DSP will integrate into a DAW in the same way HDX does. They all use coreaudio drivers for the DAW application, but rely on an additional application like RME Totalmix or Metric Halo MIO to access DSP-based monitoring.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman6 View Post

This thread was / is originally about a very specific issue where the HD Driver versions were "chasing" apple OS versions, and you literally couldn't access HDX from ANYTHING but Pro Tools.
This was completely resolved in ~6 months via HD Driver updates.

For your issues, the latest PT version solves this by allowing all your "other" apps to play through Pro Tools via AUX I/O.

The reason you wouldn't ever want each of these DAW's to be able to simultaneously play out of HDX is that an Active Pro Tools Session via HDX hardware NEEDS to control the Clock Source and Sample Rate. Leaving this open to AudioMIDI Setup to change willy nilly as you open more and more applications would invariably lead to your Pro Tools Session crashing.
Since Pro Tools #1 function is to record and stay in record regardless of all other "computing" occurring elsewhere on the system, it needs to protect it's software and hardware from having the clock source "taken over".

HDX systems are built to optionally include SYNC Hardware, which is not controllable by any of these "other" apps, so there would always be a conflict if they could all access the same hardware but NOT control the clock source settings.

AUX I/O finally allows us to use ALL these other apps WITHIN the Pro Tools environment, and in a much more powerful way, just like they added Workspace to not only add a built-in "Finder" inside Pro Tools, but to then blow the roof off the functionality generally associated with the standard apple Finder "app"!
Mac Pro, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HDX, 2xAlphalink,1xDeltaLink,
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
VENUE SC48 3.2 with iPad Control
SSL Duality
SSL Duality via ipMIDI / ∂elta Automation Plug-In