Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 07:44 AM

Default creating drum tracks

Hello, I'm new to Protools. Just got 7.0 a month ago and finishing up a new computer to house it. I'm just curious what program I should get to lay down drums and how I would do it. I heard Reason does this stuff, but how does it work? Is there a way you can check out loops, then just copy and paste them where you want through an entire track on a protools session? Is there a program where you actually create them via midi keyboard? Like find the drum sounds you want froma certain kit then try to play it on a keyboard? This is all confusing to me right now and I want to do drum beats on my own, trying to make them sound as realistic as possible. Also, Is there anything protools can do to make these drum tracks more "humanized" once you lay down the basic tracks of samples,loops,midi, whatever....? Thank you...If this is too much of a beginer question to answer on this forum you could email me at [email protected]

Thank you!

-Brian
Old 06-24-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Re: creating drum tracks

There are alot of programs and libraries that do what you want. BFD, Drum kit from Hell, Guru, Drumagog, Artistic Drums, and so many more.

By the way, you may want to avoid putting your email up like that. You will soon have rich Nigerians trying to offer you thier million dollar inheritance....for a fee.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 AM

have sent you mail stone roses man!!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:45 PM

I am a ritch Nigerian I have an inheratence, give me your protools plugins and ill split it with you. ha, btw BFD is the way to go. they sound very realistic.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:13 PM

Yeah! BFD is the way to go. It has a little humanize function. There's a picture of a robot that morphs into a jazz cat the more you humanize the track. You can make it intentionally sloppy! It also has an "anti-machine-gun" setting that's good for rolls.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 06-26-2006, 03:35 PM

I've really been investigating BFD. Watched the tutorial and read all the info on the website. I may get it...The idea of drum programming is still new to me though. A quick question...The songs I will be recording have many different parts to them. Like 4 or 5 parts. So would I just record them via midi keyboard through BFD into protools, then edit them together after I have loops of each part that I'm happy with? Another problem/question I have is with seperating each drum track in protools. I want each part of the kit to have it's own channel rather than an entire loop with all parts of the drum set in one channel. Can this work? Can you seperate each part of the drum kit as each of their own track in protools? How would I go about doing this? (I have yet to get le 7.0 up running yet because I'm not yet finished building the computer to run it). I'm sure once I'm up and running I'll figure out more on my own but I want to be ahead of the game once I'm ready. Thank you for the responces...

-Brian
Old 06-26-2006, 04:48 PM

BFD has options for what you propose. The easiest is to use their pre-programmed loops - Grooves as they're called - to patch together the song. You can also use your midi keyboard to play each drum part and then copy and paste as you please. You could also create regions of your midi data and then use "Shuffle" mode in PT to click them together.

BFD gives you the option to bounce each individual drum to its own audio track. The master BFD track will be a midi track. You just need to create enough audio tracks and set their input as the BFD RTAS output. It sounds hard but it's like riding a bike. Once you do it, it will seem easy. The BFD website and the included instructions will walk you through it.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0