Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Default Some quirky things with PT 9

Okay,

installed PT 9 the day it was released and have been doing some projects with it. This is what I experienced so far.

When it runs without a problem it really runs like a dream. But ...

I can't run Pro Tools 9 with my Digi 002R synced to an external SPDIF clock source. As soon as I do that Pro Tools becomes unusable because it constantly loses communication with my Digi 002R. With PT 8 it worked like a charm. Running it on the internal clock is smooth though. I have checked the clock from the external preamp and it is correct.

When the Task manager is still searching for files in the background Pro Tools 9 becomes very sluggish and all graphics updating almost grind to a halt. For example the playback cursor and scrolling stutter enormously and all Peak meters and automated faders jump and stutter. After the Task manager is finished everything works fine again. The audio plays fine though during the stuttering until I get a DAE error. Forgot which error number it is but will check and come back on that later. Isn't Pro Tools offloading graphics processing to the graphics card yet?

Pro Tools still takes a heck of a time restoring tracks when opening sessions that have anywhere above 10 tracks. Let alone sessions with 50 to 60 tracks. I dissed the prefs and database with the tech utility but to no avail.

When PT 9 was released Avid also released a version 9 driver update for the Command 8. The Installer of that driver wants me to Install Rosetta first so it must be a PPC only Installer. Can we see a Universal Binary version please? I don't want to install Rosetta on my audio dedicated Intel Mac Pro.

My system is a first generation 8-core Mac Pro 3.0 GHz with 8 GB Ram and OS X 10.6.4

Anyone else having the same sort of issues?