Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2003, 11:26 PM

Default Digi...show some love

Digi, I 'd like to tell you why I think you should give a break to the people that bought HD before 2003

1. We had to pay for the 5.x to 6.0 upgrade
2. We had to pay for the 9.x to OSX (Jaguar)upgrade
3. We had to pay for multiple Plug-in upgrades

So...there you have it...key-word on my 3 points: PAY.
WE are the people that should get the break...the people that came onboard a few months ago had it easy (nothing against you guys ). They went directly to OSX, PT 6.0 and didn't have to upgrade any of their plugs unless if they were mix-upgrading.

peace, syra
Old 09-13-2003, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Digi...show some love

I agree wholeheartedly. While I myself have not upgraded yet (thank goodness) it is very disheartening to those who endured such a painful process early on.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:02 AM

Hello. Guys not to minimize anyone's opinions or feelings, but this is the way of computer based technology. A PCI-X based TDM system can't be too far away, less than a year in my guess, and that means another payment. The G5 is a step up and that means another payment, and so on and on it goes. It is up to every individual to decide when one does the upgrading. As such there will always be times when someone gets caught in between the wheels so to speak. This of course doesn't prevent Digidesign (or any other company) from doing price breaks like the ones you describe, but I would say it would be very much the exception and also something not to be expected.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:03 AM

Not to bitch for bitching sake, but if the powers that be are really using this time to assess the user bases' feelings before announcing their upgrade policy here's my 2 cents:

For a system billed as capable of working at 192khz the first round of cards needed to be 4 times more powerful than they were.

Clearly, the new cards need to be 2 times more powerful than they are.

To ghettoize the first round of HD cards this soon in its business life cycle (ie new plugs, and as yet undetermined "enhancements" to the software that will require the Accel cards) for new hardware that still only takes us half the way to a fully functioning 192k system will be a very polarizing decision unless the cash outlay for the new cards is as painless as possible for ALL users of HD hardware.

What do I mean by painless? The difference in list price between HD cards and HD Accel cards: 500 bucks. Digi, you're really going to have to view this upgrade as a loss leader to get the user base competitive with the potentil power of native systems running on a dual G5.

As a revenue scheme its too little, too soon. Don't make it too much.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:01 AM

the amount of money spent on upgrades in protools software and hardware ,plugins and computers this year has been incredible...expecially in these times...its very disheartining to conclude that i had just purchased what is turning out to be a very expensive intermediary system .
Old 09-13-2003, 10:35 AM

The HD cards were a joke! Digi's main ad campaign was "192 is here". Here, where Digi? As a 12-track? Thanx a lot...beats my 8-track hands down...

C'mon...its not about love...its about respect. If your super-duper-new HD system was what it had promised to be (the next generation) the HD Accel cards would not be neccesary. Of course...trying to sell a 192K 12-track DAW is not easy and that should be YOUR problem. Show some respect and let the people upgrade to the real HD for a low cost. You made your money on the first HD joke-cards...wanting to cash-in on the second ones...has me wish you good luck...I'll pass

And don't even get me started that eventually we'll be forced to upgrade since superplugs will run only on Accel...
Old 09-13-2003, 11:43 PM

Again I agree. I myself am not interested in 192K for so many reasons, but I hate the thought that I am going to get burned by getting the system and then having it relegated to obsolescence soon after. I am thinking I would rather get another year or two out of my mix system at this point and then see where the native systems will be by that time (who knows what Digi will have by then....)
Old 09-15-2003, 02:23 PM

Somebody fill me in...when was HD first released?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:28 PM

Pro Tools|HD announcements:

January 17. 2002 Digidesign Announces Brand-New, High-Definition Pro Tools|HD Systems at Winter NAMM 2002
January 17. 2002 Now Available: Digidesign Development Partner Products Optimized for Pro Tools|HD Systems

Mark