Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 07-09-2022, 09:31 AM

Default 48khz not supported

I am running 2018.7 in El Capitan.
I use two different Interfaces, one is a Profire 610 and the other is a mobile pre. Both M-audio brand. Both had driver support abruptly end at Yosemite but the 610 works fine in El Cap. The Mobile pre however doesn't but since it is USB, I can just use it with class drivers. I have used this for years with class drivers in Pro Tools first but now after updating to El Cap I can't load the drivers and running without drivers says that 48k isn't supported. SO when I open a 48k session, the playback in slow.

For any serious recording I would use the ProFire anyway but the reason I have both is that I normally have my iMac booted into Catalina for day to day work and my mobile pre is connected to my studio monitors. I don't want to reconnect everything needlessly.

Is there anyway to make this work on 48k? The interface supports 24/48 so it should work.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:04 AM

Default Re: 48khz not supported

Class-compliant USB audio interfaces have no drivers.

On Macs, you change the sample rate from Audio MIDI Setup Utliity. Select the hardware in the left column, in the right column you set the sample rate under "Format".

You need to do this before opening Pro Tools.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Class-compliant USB audio interfaces have no drivers.

On Macs, you change the sample rate from Audio MIDI Setup Utliity. Select the hardware in the left column, in the right column you set the sample rate under "Format".

You need to do this before opening Pro Tools.
I tried that but it kept changing back.

Yes, I originally used this with the supplied drivers but they don't seem to work period after OS X 10.10.

48k shows but but it seems to keep changing back.
I have another cheap M-audio interface that I could try but it doesn't have balanced outputs and that is the main reason I use this.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:02 PM

Both of these interfaces are way old. If you want to do "serious" recording, you really need to move to a modern interface

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-09-2022, 01:25 PM

Do you know if the interface supports 48kHz with a class compliant driver? you had that working before? I would hope it does if it is listing that in Audio MIDI setup, but that is no guarantee. Can you play iTunes or similar back through it at 48kHz?

Sample rates changing back are typically caused by some other application or utility running. Getting a sample rate change notification and changing the rate back to what the other software wants. Can take a second or so if the other app is already running.

Make sure the interface is not being used for mac sound output or systems sound, and that you are not using an aggregate device and that interface is not part of another aggregate device.

Look at the sample rate in Audio Midi Setup. when exactly does it change from 48kHz? what happens if you open pro tools with a known 48kHz session, then if needed reset the interface to 48 kHz in Audio Midi setup?

A device is not just USB audio class compliant because it has USB, the manufacturer has to build that in. Which M-Audio claims for Mobile Pre. But who knows what issues it might have. The M-Audio disaster that Avid inflicted on the world produced some of the worst products in the industry, certainly worst quality of support and software. The peak of Avid management incompetence. And M-Audio preamps are typically nasty, especially at higher gain. I personally would throw all these products in the garbage. There are many much better interfaces available, Focusrite is the canonical low price/decent value/quality vendor especially with their 2i2.

Make sure anything you buy has driver support back to the old macOS you are running on. You should get less latency and maybe more features using a vendor supplied driver.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-09-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Do you know if the interface supports 48kHz with a class compliant driver?
I wondered about that. After some testing I discovered that it will stick at 48khz until I open pro tools.

Also, I understand there are other interfaces out that and this is old. I have had it for a decade. I haven't used it for recording in a long time. The reason I like to keep it around is so that I can use it in itunes, etc booted into Catalina. Then if I want to reboot into teh older system, I can use it just to open a session or if I want to do something simple, such as recently my aunt sent me some old tapes from my grandparents.

This is all just a hobby for me so I don't like to spend a ton but I have noticed that basic interfaces are really cheap these days. I have used a Scarlette 2i2 and like it, I may look for one of those at some point. TO be honest, I would like to find something that was just line in and line out, no mic preamps needed, just something with balanced TRS outs. But I am not sure such a device exists.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-c View Post
I wondered about that. After some testing I discovered that it will stick at 48khz until I open pro tools.

Also, I understand there are other interfaces out that and this is old. I have had it for a decade. I haven't used it for recording in a long time. The reason I like to keep it around is so that I can use it in itunes, etc booted into Catalina. Then if I want to reboot into teh older system, I can use it just to open a session or if I want to do something simple, such as recently my aunt sent me some old tapes from my grandparents.

This is all just a hobby for me so I don't like to spend a ton but I have noticed that basic interfaces are really cheap these days. I have used a Scarlette 2i2 and like it, I may look for one of those at some point. TO be honest, I would like to find something that was just line in and line out, no mic preamps needed, just something with balanced TRS outs. But I am not sure such a device exists.
Make sure you follow everything else I said before. So after Pro Tools opens *with a 48 kHz* session can you reset the rate in audio Midi setup so things behave? Pro Tools seems fussier than it needs to be at times maybe triggered by poorly performing/implemented interfaces. And for the heck of it trash prefs as well before trying stuff out. Not sure what session actually have... create a new empty session at 48kHz using build-in Output. Try changing the playback engine then to the one giving problems. If the rate changes, try resetting in in Audio MIDI Settings.

Low-end interface with line inputs only basically don't exist. Manufacturers are targeting a singer/songwriter market and will perceive they need to have preamp(s) and the cost of adding a cheap (& often nasty) preamp is low. And be careful, if you want to say record guitar or bass directly in you will typically need a preamp or preamp/DI input even if it physically looks like a phono line in connection.

There are lots of no-input, output only DACs are all over the place, but rapidly get into the "audiophile" fools market.

You can pick up a 3rd Gen 2i2 up on eBay for < $100 if you look around. If cash is tight that is what I'd do. Motu, Universal Audio (Volt), and others also make nice low-cost interfaces with good support (but then anything is good compared to M-Audio and Avid/M-Audio).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-09-2022 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:06 PM

"(but then anything is good compared to Motu and Avid/Motu)"

I hope you meant M-Audio and Avid/M-Audio?

SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-09-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
"(but then anything is good compared to Motu and Avid/Motu)"

I hope you meant M-Audio and Avid/M-Audio?

Oh jeez yes, how embarrassing edited and fixed. I like Motu gear, some nice stuff and seems a well run company.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:30 PM

While I don't have it, I do like MOTU's M line, M2 and M4. Metal with metal knobs, decent converters and pres and built in Loopback and reasonably priced.

I'm an RME fan though, but can't say their interfaces are reasonably priced, but can say they're a cut above.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction