Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2016, 02:05 AM

Default PT12.6 Bug With New Edit Window Fade Shaping Feature

In testing out the new feature that allows you to change a fade shape with the smart tool (or Cmd and selector tool), I have discovered a bug (or feature???).

When a fade is created using the fade dialog box we have three choices of shape - Standard, S-Curve, or a custom shape selected from a drop-down list.

If a fade is (or was previously) created with one of these custom shapes, the new reshaping features will not work. When clicking on the fade with the smart tool it will highlight yellow as expected, but you will not be able to change its shape at all.

This applies to fade ins, fade outs and crossfades on both PT 12.6 and PT HD 12.6. Make sure that your default fade settings in Preferences do not include any custom fade shapes. That's what was getting me. Once a fade is changed to Standard or S-Curve it will behave as expected.
PT Ultimate 2023.9.0
Old 09-30-2016, 03:25 AM

Default Re: PT12.6 Bug With New Edit Window Fade Shaping Feature

Well, that's how the custom fades always behaved even in the "fades" dialogue window, so it shouldn't be that surprising.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:52 AM

Ah, good point. Somehow in 20+ years using Pro Tools I have never attempted to drag custom fade shapes in the fades dialogue window.

Still, I'm not sure the behaviour makes much sense for the edit window fade reshaping. If I'm clicking on it, it's because I want to change its shape - why should I be prevented from doing so?

At the very least, the Reference Guide section entitled Adjusting Fade Shapes with the Smart Tool in the Edit Window should be updated to mention that custom fade shapes will prevent the feature from working.
PT Ultimate 2023.9.0
Old 10-06-2016, 06:32 AM

I had the same problem but found your thread.

Thanks pdubber!
http://immersivesoundvr.com/