Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-21-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Soundminer 3.2LE & Protools 7

Hey, I'm a new user trying to figure out how to sync up Soundminer and Protools in OS 10.4.5

My first problem is that core audio only seems to allow one audio program to run at the same time (i.e iTunes, Protools, Soundminer). The big problem is that I can't audition sounds in Soundminer while Protools is open. Is there a way around all this?

-Lyle at The Argot Network
Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Soundminer 3.2LE & Protools 7

You need to install the rewire components so you can monitor through ProTools.

In ProTools you have an AUX track with the input being the Soundminer Engine.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:06 PM

Jim is correct Soundminer does not work with CoreAudio.
That is explained in the begining of the manual and quickstart that comes with it.
If you need to call Soundminer for help, and you get Steve, you had better
have read the manual first!!!!!!
Its pretty comprehensive, and will answer all your questions.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:09 PM

I understand that you can't go through the PT hardware with out using rewire but I do believe that there is not a problem going through core audio as long as you don't have PT hardware as your core audio out put. I use SM and PT all the time and I'm not using rewire. I have an Igniter card and have that as the system output. A friend uses the built in audio and also has no problem playing SM and PT at the same time.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I understand that you can't go through the PT hardware with out using rewire but I do believe that there is not a problem going through core audio as long as you don't have PT hardware as your core audio out put. I use SM and PT all the time and I'm not using rewire. I have an Igniter card and have that as the system output. A friend uses the built in audio and also has no problem playing SM and PT at the same time.
I do something similar. I use the G5's optical out, then into an M-audio format converter (which converts it to AES), then on into the 192 with the AES real-time sample rate conversion enabled. This way, I can just have SM, and other Coreaudio apps, come up on an aux. I can also record things very conveniently this way, manipulate them in real time as they're being fed into PT.

Just another way to do it!

Good luck,
S.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:56 PM

Soundminer works fine with Coreaudio and most CoreAudio interfaces. The issue is that Pro tools does NOT allow its CoreAudio driver to be engaged if Pro Tools is running. However, as alluded to in one of the posts, you can use SM through PT hardware via CoreAudio when PT is NOT running. Otherwise use Rewire or you do as Stuart P pointed out. If you have a second CoreAudio interface like the M-Audio, Igniter, MOTU box or the like, you can route SM's output there using Coreaudio.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:12 PM

All the above is true, but beware that using Rewire will cause your pro tools session to crash when quitting Pro Tools. You can save your sessions with no problem, but when you quit Pro Tools for the day, you will get an "unexpected quit" window. This is a known problem with Pro Tools 7, and it seems to cause no harm at all with Pro Tools or your session, it's just kind of scarry!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:38 AM

Like most fx users I have to use em both at the same time so I have to route the SM out via usb/UA25 to get around this for the time being. There is a function in SM the "eye"at the bottom that drops stuff at the insert point, which is really slick and fast. However the Rewire in PTLE on tiger will crash PT. This is also a digi problem that needs fast fixin'!