Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-28-2021, 06:59 AM

Default cmon Avid, it's time for hardware insert bypass

I mean, cereally. I still can't bypass a hardware insert for a/b purposes?
Old 07-28-2021, 07:20 AM

Default Re: cmon Avid, it's time for hardware insert bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I mean, cereally. I still can't bypass a hardware insert for a/b purposes?
You don't have bypass on your hardware? Seriously you would need to re-route the mixer for a hardware insert bypass from PT side. There is no magical invisible hand to replace your wiring with a hard bypass wire that would not interrupt PT mixer, but it would obviously make at least two clicks when you change your hardware insert to hardware bypass cable.

Just think about it for one second, you get it.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You don't have bypass on your hardware? Seriously you would need to re-route the mixer for a hardware insert bypass from PT side. There is no magical invisible hand to replace your wiring with a hard bypass wire that would not interrupt PT mixer, but it would obviously make at least two clicks when you change your hardware insert to hardware bypass cable.

Why can't it work like any plugin insert? No need to re-route anything, just command+click on the insert for bypassing the I/O.

You can already control+command click to activate/deactivate the hardware insert, pretty much the same effect, but this cannot be automated. Previous PT versions had to stop playback when doing anything I/O related so maybe that's why bypass isn't supported.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Why can't it work like any plugin insert? No need to re-route anything, just command+click on the insert for bypassing the I/O.

You can already control+command click to activate/deactivate the hardware insert, pretty much the same effect, but this cannot be automated. Previous PT versions had to stop playback when doing anything I/O related so maybe that's why bypass isn't supported.
Hardware Insert is delay compensated and therefore bypassing a hardware means taking it off the mixer, which means re-calculating delay compensation for the whole mixer.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

umm no, not all hardware has bypass. I can barely understand what you wrote. All i'm saying is why can't i bypass an insert that is using external hardware the same way I can a plugin.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
umm no, not all hardware has bypass. I can barely understand what you wrote. All i'm saying is why can't i bypass an insert that is using external hardware the same way I can a plugin.
Because your track is being delay compensated by the amount the DA and AD takes time, so if you just magically re-route your mixer to connect your hardware insert send point to return point it will be out or sync, or it will stop playback for a brief moment due to having to rebuild the mixer. Neither outcomes are acceptable. The only way to bypass hardware insert is to do it on hardware side. Either pressing the bypass button on the box or having a short wire available for disconnecting the hardware box and replacing it with a wire that does nothing.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:10 AM

Janne, it still has an input and output and should be able to reconnect those when bypassed and yes I think the “industry standard” software should be able to ping that delay during setup so that it can compensate for it.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:13 AM

There are still laws of physics applied with anything external analog audio (DA and AD take at least one sample each). If you want a no-click hardware bypass it will result in screwed up latency compensation. If you want proper latency compensation it is just as much a clock than disabling the hardware insert. So why bother?
Old 07-29-2021, 09:31 AM

as annoying as it is....just regular bypass would mean that the interfaces had relay between each input and output that would just feed the signal in a loop - therefore deactivating IS BYPASS when it comes to HW inserts - annoying I know ,but is a hardware issue NOT a software one
Old 07-29-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan IceWood View Post
as annoying as it is....just regular bypass would mean that the interfaces had relay between each input and output that would just feed the signal in a loop - therefore deactivating IS BYPASS when it comes to HW inserts - annoying I know ,but is a hardware issue NOT a software one
Exactly. If we want a bypass to a hardware insert, as I said already, it will mean one of the two things: either latency compensation goes wrong, or there will be a stop in playback. Only way to have a good bypass would press a button on external hardware.