Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-15-2021, 09:34 PM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I'm really hoping that Mojave will still be supported, but I'm not holding my breath. A big update like this would make sense as a cut-off point for for pre-Catalina OS's.
You can never plan the future by the past, but recent history of Avid has told us that three most current OSX are supported, which means once they support The Next Place, it means Mojave support ends.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You can never plan the future by the past, but recent history of Avid has told us that three most current OSX are supported, which means once they support The Next Place, it means Mojave support ends.
Totally understand, and as I said, it seems like a logical place to cutoff support for any OS with remnants of 32-bit support. It would just make my life a bit less convenient
Old 05-17-2021, 08:12 AM

Default The Hybrid Engine

At last ! I was thinking seriously buying a new HDX card or change my 2019 Mac Pro CPU!
I been struggling with the voice limits from my HDX 1 system for a time. I had to change playback engine and flip the patchbay every other week to open sessions with more than 256 voices. Using other interfaces only to support the 384 voices that native systems have.
This is really a game changer for HDX users.
I’m thrilled !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2021, 04:09 PM

Yes, it's awesome. Was planning to buy 4 more HDX cards, but now it seems I won't have to!
Old 05-18-2021, 02:31 AM

I have questions:

1) What will happen to HDn+8x8x8 systems? I guess still 384 voices (unless you buy voice packs)? Surely they won't de-value the voice packs people have spend hundreds of $$ on?

2) Does an MTRX Studio connected to a HDn card count as "HDX" in terms of those 2k+ voices? Or is that also 384 max?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2021, 02:35 AM

HDX is HDX and HDN is HDN, whatever changes is to DSP systems do not concern native systems, and whatever interfaces you may have do not concern whether you have HDX or HDN
Old 05-18-2021, 02:44 AM

Surely is a slight bummer for MTRX/HDn owners...

Hm, sounds like the voices don't come from the cards anyway, they just found a way not to eat away all the voices by routing to the cards and back for native plugins. The latter never relied on cards to begin with.

Thing is: In a complex surround session the mixer on HDX eats away so many chips that you'd still probably need more than HDX1 to actually play back those 2k+ tracks? Or has that been overcome as well? Would be great if we could finally play back sessions made on HDn on a HDX1 or HDX2 rig.

The devil could be in the detail. Will find out in June I guess...
Old 05-18-2021, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I have questions:

1) What will happen to HDn+8x8x8 systems? I guess still 384 voices (unless you buy voice packs)? Surely they won't de-value the voice packs people have spend hundreds of $$ on?

2) Does an MTRX Studio connected to a HDn card count as "HDX" in terms of those 2k+ voices? Or is that also 384 max?

Thanks!
According to Francois Quereuil, the voice limitation will be lifted for all Protools Ultimate users, regardless of hardware.

“The current plan is for the max voice AND track count to be extended to 2048 for PT Ultimate, regardless of hardware. And this will be for all Ultimate users Perpetual license holders who are on support plan, new perpetual licenses purchasers and of course subscribers. 2048 will be for ALL Ultimate users, no voice pack required. We realize that voice pack adopters will no longer need those and will take care of them individually.”

I don't know what "take care of them individually" means, but you might end up with another 20 royalty free music tracks per voice pack
Old 05-18-2021, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
According to Francois Quereuil, the voice limitation will be lifted for all Protools Ultimate users, regardless of hardware.

“The current plan is for the max voice AND track count to be extended to 2048 for PT Ultimate, regardless of hardware. And this will be for all Ultimate users Perpetual license holders who are on support plan, new perpetual licenses purchasers and of course subscribers. 2048 will be for ALL Ultimate users, no voice pack required. We realize that voice pack adopters will no longer need those and will take care of them individually.”

I don't know what "take care of them individually" means, but you might end up with another 20 royalty free music tracks per voice pack
Wow, that would be great. Maybe they will refund/x-grade them with a year of support plan per voice pack...
Old 05-18-2021, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Surely is a slight bummer for MTRX/HDn owners...

Hm, sounds like the voices don't come from the cards anyway, they just found a way not to eat away all the voices by routing to the cards and back for native plugins. The latter never relied on cards to begin with.

Thing is: In a complex surround session the mixer on HDX eats away so many chips that you'd still probably need more than HDX1 to actually play back those 2k+ tracks? Or has that been overcome as well? Would be great if we could finally play back sessions made on HDn on a HDX1 or HDX2 rig.

The devil could be in the detail. Will find out in June I guess...
The cards won't be eaten by the mixer anymore, the mixer will run native. Only the signal paths selected for dsp will have the mixer on dsp, or so it seems. This way the HDX card will only be used for actual dsp and the rest will run native. The HDX1 systems will become waaaayyyy more useful in post as they will turn into (be it expensive) digilink dongles and maybe run that few dsp plugins still in use. Your computer just needs to be fast enough to be able to run the mixer native.

We upgraded all our rigs to HDX2 a long time ago just to overcome the voice limitation. We have to set all our dsp plugins to native because both HDX cards are fully filled with 'mixer' so we don't actually use dsp. Our preferred plugins are native only anyway. With the hybrid engine we can shift around cards a bit if needed.

I don't know yet if our old cheesegrater mac pro's can run the same sessions fully native. We might have to stick to the old ways for now. The hybrid engine for me feels a bit 'too little too late' (as we already invested into HDX2). By the time we move on to new macs they will be fast enough to run fully native and there will be no need for HDX cards anymore. But for current HDX1 users this will be huge and much needed.