Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Default RAID Configuration Question???

Greetings,

I just bought a new studio computer (AMD64) for recording and I'm excited to start using it because it's pretty loaded. The computer has 4 hard drives... 2 of which are in a RAID 0 Configuration which the operating system runs off of, the 3rd drive is a basic IDE storage drive, and the 4th drive is an external Firewire Glyph drive. I read under the 'Compatibility' section that:

"Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives."

My question is: What is their definition of "recording drives"? Can I run the Pro Tools SOFTWARE on the RAID configured hardrives and save the sessions to my external Glyph drive? I wasn't sure if the above disclaimer was regarding the software-operating drives or the drives that the sessions were to be saved on? Please let me know if you have any information regarding this issue, or if you have any recommendations for my situation. This computer is to be used for recording purposes only, so I want it to be completely optimized. Thanks--
Old 01-07-2006, 08:45 PM

Default Re: RAID Configuration Question???

scrap raid 0
Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I need more! Please explain so I can understand why.

What if I was to run Pro Tools on my internal IDE Storage drive and save sessions to the external Glyph drive? Would this be a good way to go? Would the RAID hard drives affect this in any way?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 PM

first off do a search this has come up many times
Quote:
Would this be a good way to go? Would the RAID hard drives affect this in any way?
the raid config can effect overall system performance or they can seemless, it depends on the controller.
basicly anything apart from RAID-1 on a real hardware controller like a duplidisk is a waste of time and money for a DAW or general computing.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:38 AM

This is an area of confusion for me too.

Let me ask this.

What is the best way to set up 3 SATA hard drives on an ASUS A8N-E Mobo?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:09 AM

Not much to search on here. Seems a lot of people just against Raid to be hard headed, but NO one is giving reasons. It just doesn't make any logical sence to me... Pro Tools is a software program. Why wouldn't it run on a Raid like any other software. I did find this post upon my search:

Quote:
I just installed PT 7 LE on 2 Western Digital Raptor 10,000rpm 74gb hard drives in a RAID 0.

As far as I know, you can install and run Pro Tools on a RAID just fine...you just can't WRITE to a RAID.

I have a 3rd (non-RAID) Raptor for my "writing" drive.
That would seem to answer my questions right there, but we'd need to talk to this person to see how it worked out in the long haul. I'll try to PM--
Old 01-08-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives.
> as per Digidesign's compatibility page
This tell me that "recording drives" only not supported. Your C: or system drive should be OK..
cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 01-09-2006, 01:51 AM

Well, I tried everything and could not get Pro Tools to run on this computer at all. I even tried to install PT Software on the storage drive to see if I could run it off that drive and save to my external, but no go. When is Digidesign going to learn? So much potential out there==

No one seems to know exactly how, what, or why anything Raid doesn't work with PT, but for me it just didn't. Every program in the world runs on Raid configuration, but sure as heck not good ol Pro Tools. So, after a solid night of trial and error, experimentation and frusteration, my recommendation is just as everyone else's... stay away from the Raid configurations. Raid-0 and Raid-1.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:35 AM

A RAID array is not necessary to run PTLE effectively.
Get over it.

Do a fresh install of XP on a single system drive.
Install PTLE in it's default location on the C: system drive, and use your other drives as storage.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:11 PM

Unfortunately this is what I had to resort to. Though, I'm not going to "get over it" because Serial ATA Raid configuration is smokin amazing and Pro Tools is absolutely retarded for not recognizing some of the best technology for PC. This is why I'm moving to SAMPLITUDE BABY!!! Peace out [bleep] Pro Tools.--