Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-05-2021, 05:51 PM

Default Projects Won't Open / "Please install any available updates and try again."

I started having issues operating ProTools First on my ancient laptop, so I figured I'd update and bought a brand new laptop PC (Windows 10 with plenty of RAM and super-speedy processors). I installed the Avid link, iLok liscence manager, and the latest version of ProTools.

Now I can't even open a project. The program starts alright, but when I tried opening a project with one of the templates I got the message:

"Project cannot be opened. The latest version of the project may have been uploaded by a newer version of Pro Tools. Please install any available updates and try again."

I exited the program, restarted my PC, and saw the project was listed as a started project. When I tried to open it I got the same message. When I started a project without the template it actually opened for a whole second before shutting down. Exited and restarted. Tried to open that one, and got the same message.

I have installed the latest updates with no success. Very discouraging. I deleted the program from my laptop and uninstalled/reinstalled it on my PC. Still nothing. Avid tech support sent me here. Can anyone help me? It took almost a year to become proficient with the program, and when it works I am very happy with it. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you.
G
Old 07-17-2021, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Projects Won't Open / "Please install any available updates and try again."

Hi, I am have almost the same issue but with only one of my projects (Pro Tools First). I have over 20 projects on the go, and my main reference/template one is now doing this. I get the message "(Project name) cannot be opened. The latest version of the project may have been uploaded by a newer version of pro tools. Please install any available updates and try again". I did have an available update so I completed that but I'm still receiving the same error message and the project still won't open, even after the update. Quite frustrated as I was getting close to a release date and now I'm kind of stuck until I can get this back opened.

For what it's worth, the folder for that project looks the same as every other folder; all the files are still there. I've tried restarts, logging in and out as well as disconnecting the internet and trying to open "offline"... Nothing is working. Really hoping someone knows what's going on and has a fix.

I see this post is recent; maybe something with recent updates?

Thanks to whoever can help us both out!
Old 07-17-2021, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Projects Won't Open / "Please install any available updates and try again."

We really need to see your system specs. “Brand new laptop” doesn’t mean a thing if it isn’t compatible. See “help us help you” at the top of the page.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:14 PM

http://duc.avid.com/member.php?u=181438

I paid a computer tech from the local music community to try to get it running. After over an hour he gave up, and set me up with another DAW. I've wasted way too muchprecious time on Pro Tools. I've moved on, and would recommend just finding another DAW. There are plenty of good ones that aren't so continually problematic. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:41 AM

Ok so I will say that I feel Pro Tools is the best DAW; I've tried others and maybe it's just what I am used to using but the others don't seem to compare; I digress. There is no issue with my system specs so that really shouldn't make a difference however, I'll oblige and say what I have:

Asus TUF Gaming Laptop
Ryzen 7 4800H Processor
16GB Ram
GeForce RTX 2060 Graphics Card

My system is plenty capable of running the program and does so without skipping a beat. Either way though, the project in question is the ONLY project not opening. All the other projects I have on the go are opening just fine. The files in the folder look normal, I really need to figure out how to get this opened again, or if it is just an irreparable glitch and in which case I guess I am SOL.

Please help.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:10 PM

Something to consider:
A "project" is something that (usually) lives in the cloud. A "session" is something that lives on your local hard drive. Creating and using "sessions" is much better that projects. Something to consider for any/all future recording (no matter what DAW you use). The cloud is not all that reliable(especially for audio work) and "cloud collaboration" is still a work in progress(IOW, there are other and more reliable ways to collaborate on recordings)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-31-2021, 07:07 PM

Seeing as how you never provided your system specs, I’ll venture a guess that your system was under-resourced. Pro Tools is crazily hardware-sensitive….take shortcuts on the system requirements, and it doesn’t work. That isn’t AVID’s fault, though….they very clearly post system requirements. In any event, I’m glad you found a solution and got back to work.