Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-30-2021, 03:21 PM

Default Pro Tools First - not fit for purpose

I've seen some DAWs in my time but Pro Tools First is unfit for purpose.

The filing system is whack! Imagine designing a system without the option to 'save as' or create a simple template of your own... or have any kind of folder organisation that may help your workflow.

I don't understand it's purpose, this thing isn't going to help bring fresh blood into the pro tools world. It's convoluted and pointless.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First - not fit for purpose

Good point On the other hand, since its introduction in 2015 it has become some useful improvements, like unlimited projects local. I work every day with Pro Tools First 2021.6 on my M1 Macbook and for me its an excellent tool for doing songwriting. To be fair - we get it for free, we don‘ t pay one single cent for development, maintenance and get a useful tool for starting Pro Tools world. If you love it use it, if not - don‘t use it.

I like it a lot, because i am not a professional studio or earn big bucks with music. I would not pay 30 Bucks a month to record 10 Tracks as a hobbyist in projects. I can live with the limitations.

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 10 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs 11.6.5 / Windows 10
Wavelab Elements 11

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 07-31-2021, 02:08 PM

I just need a simple songwriting sketchbook so track count and I/O isn't important. I used to run a windows laptop with Digidesign MBox for this purpose, which is now obsolete, so this is the updated version and considered 'included software' with my new focusrite interface . It's a huge step backwards in usability and functionality!

I don't use it enough to justify a subscription, but there are plenty of other free DAWs I can use..... I just don't see the purpose of having to construct every new project from blank or one of the pre-supplied templates. It's counterproductive to the very notion of creativity.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:04 PM

PTF is designed as a teaser to get folks to try, and hopefully buy the "real" software. Due to its rather serious limitations, I NEVER suggest PTF(except for someone just wanting to do podcasting or has very modest needs) and instead recommend the free 30-day trial of the full version. Yes, I know that PTF is free, but its a poor introduction to a great DAW. If you need "great", get the demo. If you need "cheap", then I would look at Reaper or Cakewalk by Bandcamp (formerly known as SONAR). Both are very capable and Cakewalk is free

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-01-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
PTF is designed as a teaser to get folks to try, and hopefully buy the "real" software. Due to its rather serious limitations, I NEVER suggest PTF(except for someone just wanting to do podcasting or has very modest needs) and instead recommend the free 30-day trial of the full version. Yes, I know that PTF is free, but its a poor introduction to a great DAW. If you need "great", get the demo. If you need "cheap", then I would look at Reaper or Cakewalk by Bandcamp (formerly known as SONAR). Both are very capable and Cakewalk is free
I agree and have already installed Cakewalk on my new system. It just means learning to navigate another piece of software when I already know how to operate Pro tools