Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-29-2021, 08:07 PM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Just finished my first Dolby Atmos mix with the Hybrid Engine.
Real game changer.
I just don't have to think about system resources anymore.

That mix had 300 tracks for a 7-minute piece with loads of 7.1.2 bussing, upmixers, tons of plugins etc.
And recording some missing foley during the mix was absolutely no problem. Record track in DSP mode, perfect recording experience.

Played completely without problems.
Combined with the new MacPros, this is a real step forward.

Congrats, great job on this Avid!
(Now please let's get the automation-doesnt-follow-moving-fades-bug out of the way)
What's your machine specs and is it just 1 HDX card now?
Old 07-30-2021, 05:16 PM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine-large CPU hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Interesting! I have found the complete opposite to be the case. Even in hybrid mode, I can run lower sample buffers much more reliably than I could using the HDX engine alone in previous versions.

Is there perhaps a plugin in there somewhere that needs an update?
I've checked all my plugins, 90% are 1-2 yrs old. The ancient ones are Air FX from back in 2015, but there's nothing newer for them on website.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
I've checked all my plugins, 90% are 1-2 yrs old. The ancient ones are Air FX from back in 2015, but there's nothing newer for them on website.
One of the easiest ways to check is to manually move a huge bunch of plugins out of the AAX plugins folder, and see if Pro Tools runs any better. Then close, move a chunk back in at a time, reopen and see if something drags the system down. It only takes one bad apple to mess with things.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:50 AM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
What's your machine specs and is it just 1 HDX card now?
New MacPro with I think 16 cores on Catalina, 96GB ram, HDX2, AvidMTRX, Atmos Mastering Suite connected via Dante.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
Seems like you post guys are happy with the new hybrid engine. I'm trying my first music mix & I'm rather disappointed with the large CPU hit I'm experiencing. My puter's a 3.46 x 12 core, so I'm not thinking its a slouch. I normally can mix with playback at 256. With the hybrid engine, I'm only halfway thru my mix & I'm already hitting 70% CPU with playback set to 1024. I've looked around the Avid site to see if there are any suggestions for optimization, but not finding any. So I'm looking at reverting back to original HDX mode so I can mix like I usually do. If anyone who does music mixing has any observations/suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thx
I'm not entirely sure of what's happening with your setup but I have friend who is mixing music and he updated all his software (minus Mojave) to the new ProTools and he's working on an old 12 core Mac Pro Cheese grater and he had the same issue. Once he unchecked the Hybrid engine and just used HDX things started working better. So not sure. Maybe it's optimized for newer computers?