Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-16-2021, 12:11 PM

Default Can’t get Fishman TriplePlay to play nice with Pro Tools

Hi all,

I posted in the PT 11 Legacy forum, but so far no advice, so I’ll try here. I bought a Fishman Triple Play recently. I'm trying to get it setup in Pro Tools. I'm running windows 10.

The TP works fine in stand alone mode with my computer.... just not in the DAW. So I at least know the computer is receiving midi input.

When I go to Midi setup in Pro Tools, it is seeing the TriplePlay. It displays

Fishman Triple Play [Emulated]
MidiIn2 (Fishman TriplePlay) [Emulated]

So I first started by setting up a midi track.
I set the midi input to "All".
I armed the track and started playing... and I wasn't seeing any signal. I recognize there won't be any sound... but shouldn't I at least see a visual that it's receiving midi information?

I tried clicking all the available outputs which were the same as the the TP and TP Midi IN 2 as well as Microsoft Gs wavelab synth and Microsoft Midi Mapper. Still not seeing anything.

Ok.

So I tried creating an Instrument track. I tried putting the TriplePlay on an insert and it came up as it should. I put Modo Bass on Split 2... and it came up. When I started playing, the Triple Play UI was showing the signal... but the Modo Bass wasn't sounding. If I clicked on one of the strings in the Modo Bass UI with my mouse.... I heard signal.

I tried loading up NI Kontakt 5 on the TriplePlay UI in protools. It came up. I selected a piano sound... but still no dice... no sound.

I’ve also tried just loading a vst on an insert w/o using the TP interface, but also nothing. I’m going to try my son’s Akai mini just to see if it works.

It seems like I'm missing something here. Any suggestions?

Sean Meredith-Jones
www.seanmeredithjones.com
Old 08-16-2021, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Can’t get Fishman TriplePlay to play nice with Pro Tools

Ok, I tried an Akai MPK mini and no dice. There’s probably something I’m not doing here. Other than selecting the midi controller in setup, what else do I have to do to trigger the vst with the controller?

Sean Meredith-Jones
Old 08-17-2021, 04:39 AM

According to the compatibility chart here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart PT11 is NOT considered compatible/supported in Win 10. That could be your problem.

QAPLA!
Old 08-17-2021, 07:32 AM

Simple question to be sure - Midi thru is selected in Pro Tools and you have record enabled the Instrument Track and or checked the ”I” button if you use Ultimate?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-17-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
According to the compatibility chart here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart PT11 is NOT considered compatible/supported in Win 10. That could be your problem.
I’m ok to upgrade if I have to. The fact that a regular USB/midi instrument like the Akai doesn’t work as well at least gives me hope that there’s a path forward with PT and not something unique to the TriplePlay midi pickup. I did find this though… so I’ll walk myself through it later today:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ia-USB-or-MIDI

Interesting it was updated last month and mentions pt11 or later.

Sara at Fishman kindly got back to me and offfered some insight:

“ There is a bit of a challenge using ProTools with Windows and TP. Let me explain:
Pro Tools for Windows (at least historically) grabs all of the MIDI ports, and Windows only permits one client per USB MIDI port, and thus the TriplePlay software cannot communicate with the controller. So to use TriplePlay with Pro Tools on Windows, you need to use it in Basic Mode (i.e. just turn the controller on, no TP SW), or Hardware Mode (i.e. hold down the up button when powering the controller on, no TP SW).
On Mac this is not a problem. Hopefully at some point Windows will fix this issue, or Pro Tools will provide a workaround, but for now, this is really the only way to use TP in ProTools.”

Sean Meredith-Jones
Old 08-17-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I’m ok to upgrade if I have to. The fact that a regular USB/midi instrument like the Akai doesn’t work as well at least gives me hope that there’s a path forward with PT and not something unique to the TriplePlay midi pickup. I did find this though… so I’ll walk myself through it later today:

Interesting it was updated last month and mentions pt11 or later.

Sara at Fishman kindly got back to me and offfered some insight:

“ There is a bit of a challenge using ProTools with Windows and TP. Let me explain:
Pro Tools for Windows (at least historically) grabs all of the MIDI ports, and Windows only permits one client per USB MIDI port, and thus the TriplePlay software cannot communicate with the controller. So to use TriplePlay with Pro Tools on Windows, you need to use it in Basic Mode (i.e. just turn the controller on, no TP SW), or Hardware Mode (i.e. hold down the up button when powering the controller on, no TP SW).
On Mac this is not a problem. Hopefully at some point Windows will fix this issue, or Pro Tools will provide a workaround, but for now, this is really the only way to use TP in ProTools.”

Sean Meredith-Jones
Glad you got a reply from Fishman. They have nice stuff.

Something I usually recommend to people when they have MIDI issues is to get one of the free utilities that can amongst other things read the MIDI going to and from the computer. For Windows that's MIDI-OX and on a Mac it's snoize. Having one of these in one's toolbox can be a real help. You run them outside of PT or any other audio program.

Something to be aware of with Windows and USB ports is that by default they're set to turn off after a certain amount of time. That can be defeated in Windows Control Panel.

QAPLA!
Old 08-17-2021, 03:22 PM

So I went through this and followed it:

That got my Akai MPK mini working... my son will be happy now..lol.

I closed the program w/o saving so I lost the settings I made! I'll try the Triple Play a bit later.

Sean Meredith-Jones