Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 PM

Default Okay--now I can talk

Hey everyone----I still don't know if AVID has made their official release or not (I can't find it jumping out right at me in big bold letters on their website), but everyone is talking about everything, showing pictures, links, etc---so it's no secret at this point. Heck, it showed up this morning on the very website I used to be a part of so HEY---it must be okay.

Okay---I am NO longer in sales so what I am saying has nothing to do with that. Likewise I do not work for Avid so I'm not trying to support them either. I am first a recording engineer and speak my mind on that topic above all things. SO you're going to get the very same feedback I would have provided in the past as I'll provide right now.

For several months I've been saying "WAIT, there's a bigger picture coming". Right now you're starting to see a glimpse of that bigger picture. Avid has taken a great deal of "HEAT" (LOL, I couldn't resist) about things and honestly, I absolutely would love to have seen them be more vocal and offer more feedback to the this area and their end users. I didn't see that happening so that's why I took it upon myself to just give a heads up that FINALLY, there was going to be some news announced so that those whom have gotten used to no news---knew to be looking for it.

SO these new interfaces are NOT just upgraded interfaces, they do sound better!! They are more analog sounding, similar to something like Apogee---but of course Apogee is Apogee and Avid is different. These are not just Avid-rebranded interfaces with a few new options. Sure, there are many new options and features---such as the ability to have 16-in and 16-out analog. The 192I/O right now was Digidesign's BEST converter, but you'd be surprised just how many would think that the only differences over the 96I/O or the 96i was that the 192 could handle 192kHz. While that IS true, the converters were much better. The sound of the 192 converter is exceptional, but more neutral than colored. The new converters aren't exactly colored, but again a "vintage" type of tone per say----sort of! LOL BUT with the new line-up of I/O's they are all the SAME sound quality, it's just a configuration of "what do you need"? This can also be said for the new OMNI interface which is the topic of debate right now.

The OMNI is ideal for someone who wants to get into PTHD for a nice home studio, maybe a VO location, an edit room, etc---places where maybe an HD1 is appropriate and they really only need a handful of inputs or one input even--but maybe they might need several outputs for mixing surround, patching in outboard gear, etc. When I learned of this interface I immediately thought of myself.... to drop this interface into my vocal room for direct connection of a microphone right into the pre, the ability to have my own headphone out with NO other routing. In other words remotely I could control my micpre, my routing, my headphones, etc....AND it doesn't cost a great deal. Think about it---the cost of an I/O unit, plus a GOOD mic pre (the pres are VERY good on this!), a headphone amp, all that wiring, then you lose the remote control, etc. The new MADI interface is much bigger than most realize......sure you can use the RME interface, but does it connect directly into the PTHD cards? Sooooo you won't need multiple Digital I/O units....just (2) Digilink cables and you're done.

HEAT...... is VERY VERY NICE! I'm told it uses up a lot of DSP, but someone here posted that it used very little. Sure you can use something like Phoenix (from Dave Hill, who wrote HEAT) but this is integrated right onto the track and is actually VERY NICE. It's one of those subtle things that it won't make everything sound like the pearly gates of Heaven just opened up..... but collectively yeah, it's nice.

SO should you go out and sell your existing hardware to upgrade? I don't know....it depends what you have, what you want, and what your needs are. BUT, it's definitely an improvement and leap forward. AVID takes this stuff seriously behind the scenes, Pro Tools is the standard for a reason. It's actually pained me a bit to watch them take so many digs lately when I know what's been going on and what's in-store. I've seen the past, I know the big picture, and I know that if you just give this all time ladies and gentlemen......you won't be disappointed. Remember, ROME wasn't built in a day---and you don't take a group of companies merged into one with different product categories and all of a sudden everything is smooth-sailing over night.

As to the UPGRADES that everyone's been talking about (LE to HD).....there's a history and reason to that. There were a great deal of talks to convince Digidesign this was needed, because there was a HUGE gap between PTHD and PTLE price-wise. They decided to do this upgrade deal NOT because sales had dropped and NOT because they were coming out with a new product line. The fact is---that upgrade actually ended, and was brought back because the demand was beyond huge. And then it ended for good. BUT the demand was still so huge that they later brought it back but said "this is it, when it's done it's done". So why did they do it if sales weren't slow and they weren't trying to dump gear? MARKET SHARE! Again, there were LE users that wanted HD but the difference in price was still major. This deal was put into place to make those dreams for reality. I got to be on the other end of those phone-calls and even remember one such client who we worked and worked and worked to make it happen for him. It literally was every penny he had to do this deal....but he did it. Why? His studio demanded it---LE was costing him clients, he was out of power, he couldn't do certain things. Now that he has HD, I've heard he's actually gaining more business and money even those his rates are more money. So that is what happened.

In a nutshell---the HD OMNI isn't for everyone, if it's not for you---it's not a waste, don't worry. It makes it more affordable for those that do not need a ton of I/O or they just need something really portable for on the road. A great deal of research was put into this and I'll have you know that Avid really does care about their clients, they are very much into the future of their product line, and you can know that you're buying a system from a manufacturer that really does "get it". While they may not be down here on the playing field talking with us, telling us what is going on, keeping us apprised of everything like some other manufacturers might do..... that doesn't mean they aren't busy, because man are they ever! Today is today, the future is the future..... The big picture isn't finished yet---it's only begun.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Okay--now I can talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Hey everyone----I still don't know if AVID has made their official release or not.....
Yeah, i got an email from them a few hours ago, you are in the clear.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/fami...-IO-Interfaces

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 PM

What price point is this thing going at? I still can't work out who it's aimed at. Posh rich amateurs? Semi-pros? Pros who want editing facilities at home? Who could possibly want one?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
What price point is this thing going at....
http://www.sweetwater.com/c546--Pro_Tools_HD_Interfaces

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

Oh I see, they've brought out a whole bunch of new stuff, not just the OMNI. How lovely. How long til support for the 192s get dropped then? A year?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
How long til support for the 192s get dropped then? A year?
your fired!!!

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
What price point is this thing going at? I still can't work out who it's aimed at. Posh rich amateurs? Semi-pros? Pros who want editing facilities at home? Who could possibly want one?
Okay----Let's say you wanted the sound quality of the 192I/O even though you were only recording at 48kHz like myself (I have both the 192I/O and the 96I/O---there is a difference even at 48kHz). But let's say you only need a couple of inputs for doing voiceover, or maybe you do editing, or just mixing, or maybe you need a portable setup for working on the road, whatever it might be. But also you need a very high quality mic-pre.

Okay, so the cost of the 192I/O unit now is $3995 v/s $1995 of the 96I/O v/s $2995 of the HD OMNI. Look at the cost of a good micpre, and a good quality headphone amp, etc....not to mention these are the same converters. Do the math....add it up. This isn't your typical interface, it really is aimed at what a lot of users have been asking for believe it or not. If I decide to keep my PTHD system (due to other factors) then, I'm getting one of these at some point...... It's exactly what I want.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Oh I see, they've brought out a whole bunch of new stuff, not just the OMNI. How lovely. How long til support for the 192s get dropped then? A year?
I couldn't tell you.....
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM

So Brad what do you suggest for me? I have a 96i/o on an Accel 2 PCIe. I was thinking about adding a Mytek 96 or 192. Do you think the HD Omni is for me? And would it sound better than or good as the Mytek? Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Brad, would you say this is the Mbox micro of the HD world or the stepping stone for LE users.

As an LE user it's the core card thats the killer and is is true you only get 5 dsps off the core card for plugs, also the track count etc.

Is it worth running this with a HD1?

I see the benefits, just not 10k's worth.

Thanks