Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Launch Failure \"Shared Library Error\" - help?

Ok so I pulled a bad and tried to install the new EQ III onto my system running PT 6.1
I thought I had 6.4 and didn't check first. Now when I try to launch PT i get this Shared Library Error with a bunch of specifics like <Protools PPC dbg><multi-shell code> ...
I'll be goldurned.
Any ideas?
Thanks...

LE 6.1 on G4 dual 1 Ghz
10.2.8 1024 Mb RAM
Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Launch Failure \"Shared Library Error\" - help?

Did you delete the EQIII plug-in from your plug-ins folder?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:36 AM

Yeh I tried that. I also looked through the OS "library" folder, to see if the EQ III installer had stuck something new and foreign in there, but i didn't find anything. or if i did i didn't know what it was. Thanks for the idea though. Any others?
Old 04-09-2005, 05:37 AM

If you haven't solved this problem, I might be able to help.. I just made the same mistake on my G4 800mhz, running LE 6.1.2. What I had to do was, first make a backup of my plug-in settings in Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-In Settings (don't want to lose those). Also if you have any Waves plug-ins move your Waveshell from Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins, just move it to the desktop, for easy access.
Now uninstall Pro-Tools, using your 6.x install disc. Once uninstalled, go ahead and restart your Mac. When it's back up and running reinstall your Pro Tools.
If your install disc is not the version you've been running (if you updated your version), and you try to open Pro Tools, you might get a DAE -1501 error (2 pro tools versions found). Just update to the version you were running and it should open normal, and ask for your validation code, just like the first time. Punch in authorization code and all should open well. If you do have Waves plug-ins, drop your Waveshell file back where you got it, and copy the plug-in settings back in.
This resolved my issues, hopefully it'll help.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the solid info - I hadn't thought of protecting my plugin settings. I did try to uninstall however, and ran up against another exasperating wall: the PTLE installer says the "uninstall was successful, however several files could not be deleted because they are in use by another application or were not created by this program" - something along those lines. Then when I restart and look on my hard drive, there is no sign of an uninstall happening, protools is still there along with the whole digidesign folder,
So I tried a clean install anyway, starting with 6.0.2 which is my original installer disc. With 6.0.2 installed I tried launching it and ran into another shared library error, similar but different to the old one. Ack! So now I have two half-baked PT's on my hard drive, god only knows what's going on in the hidden little folders of support and plugins and pref's, and i have been locked out of PT for two days during the final stretch of my allotted recording time. Jchaysus. I don't feel good proceeding until I can figure out how to really get a clean uninstall and start over. Thanks again though. Any other ideas out there?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Instructions for removing EQ III are here:
www.digidesign.com/download/eq3
Quote:
Mac OS X

To remove the EQ III plug-in:
  1. Locate and open the Plug-Ins folder on your Startup drive: Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins
  2. Drag the file named EQ III to the Trash
  3. Locate and open the following folder on your Startup drive: Library/CFMSupport
  4. Drag the file named Digidesign DSP Manager to the Trash
  5. Empty the Trash
Old 04-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Thanks for posting this question--it helped me solve my startup problem after updating from OS 10.2.6 to 10.3.8. This is kind of redundant to previous posts but it has some additional info from Digi'w own troubleshooting page. I did all of these steps and now PT 6.7 runs fine:

- Trash Pro Tools preferences. Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences and trash DAE Prefs, DigiSetup.OSX and Pro Tools LE 6.x prefs. Then restart the CPU.

- Quit Pro Tools and launch Apple's "Disk Utility" application. Select your boot volume, go to First Aid and select "Repair Disk Permisions." Apple recommends doing this any time an OS update or reinstall is done with OS X.

- Trash the Digidesign Databases folders on all mounted hard drives and restart the CPU. Also trash the "Volumes" folder in MacHD > Library > Application Support > Digidesign > Databases.

- Uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools by running the Pro Tools installer from your CD-ROM or web download. Click on the Custom Install menu and choose "Uninstall". Click continue and then choose the option for "Clean" uninstall (included in Pro Tools 6.2.3 or higher). Click OK when it reports that the uninstall was successfull and then reinstall Pro Tools.

- Run the Digidesign Plug-in Validator. Pro Tools 6.2.3 or higher includes this utility to help you check qualification of your plug-in versions. Go to Applications > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Pro Tools utilities folder and launch the utility. Manually remove any unqualified plug-ins from your plug-ins folder.

- Try creating a new user with admin privileges in System Preferences > Accounts. Then login to this new account and run Pro Tools.

- Disable any Virus Protection Software. Check for evidence of anti-virus software in Library > Startup items. Move these items out of this folder and restart the CPU (do NOT remove the DigidesignLoader or PACESupport folders).

- Remove any unnecessary USB/FW devices or any other extraneous hardware and then restart the CPU.

- In System Preferences > Login Items make sure that no offending software is being loaded.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:02 PM

whoa I must not have read the instructions on removing the plug-in thoroughly the first time, because removing that DSP controller from CFMSupport seems to have fixed us right up. Thanks Digidesign for posting those instructions for me! Thanks to all the posters as well...