Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2002, 10:33 AM

Default G4 educational model.

Hi. I am new here and am hoping I can get some great answers. I have checked compatibility documents but am still not sure. I am getting a mac for 001. Will the educational configured mac do the deed. A salesman told me it won't because it lacks PCI slots. I read the opposite. Also, if it is suitable, what are teh advantages of getting a more expensive one? I suppose they are faster but it is significant?

Here are the specs:

Quicksilver
(previous enclosure)
867MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
133MHz System Bus
256MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-RW drive
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
56K internal modem

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 08-31-2002, 11:15 AM

Default Re: G4 educational model.

Sorry Jesse.

You´ll need a PCI slot and the eMac hasn´t got one.

Markus
Old 08-31-2002, 03:45 PM

Hey Jesse,

That machine will be fine, I don't know why Markus thinks you're talking about the eMac. The 867 has PCI slots, and is a great computer for using with the 001.

The current advantages of getting a more expensive one right now are few in terms of ProTools use. The only decent advantage is that the top of the line model comes with the superdrive, which makes it easy to backup your files to DVD instead of CD as most large protools sessions don't fit on a single standard CD. ProTools does not currently take advantage of the dual processors in the current machines, but will in the future, but for now the single 867 is a good computer.

For those of you who are confused, Apple still offers the single 867 G4 on their education deals website for $1252. No L3 cache like the original 867, but still a good machine for the price.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:50 PM

Oh, sorry if I was mistaken.
If it´s not about the eMac but about the "normal" Quicksilver then you´re fine to go! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Greets

Markus
Old 09-01-2002, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseF:
Will the educational configured mac do the deed. A salesman told me it won't because it lacks PCI slots.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The salesman may be talking about the eMac but if YOU mean the Educational Discounted Mac G4 QS then you will be fine. It's the same machine as anyone else can buy......just discounted for Educators, Schools and/or Students.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:01 PM

I have to admit, I am also having problems... I have bought the new eMac a few months back and purchased protools le/mbox. problem is, there is no sound coming out at all... now i know my speakers work, and the only software app that produces no sound is protools le/mbox. i just don't get it. is there something i can or should be doing? any help from ANYONE would be greatly appreciated. by the way, i am doing everything in OS9, including starting up my computer in OS9 - at least i finally figured that one out. I'm more creative than technical and all this stuff is driving me nuts... trying to laugh about it but i just want to start makign some music here guys. plz someone respond. thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jason
Old 09-01-2002, 11:52 PM

You need external monitors to use the Mbox, the built in speakers on the eMac won't work.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:39 AM

have you checked the sound output of the mbox with a pair of headphones? playback knob set to playback? Visable audio file in the edit window?

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 09-02-2002, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the info... after more investigation, i have realized that the USB led on my mbox is not lit up. i have the digidesign usb driver in my extensions folder where it needs to be, so im a bit confused. there are two other led's lit up on my mbox, so i know there is no problem with the usb port (in fact i even tried using a different one). Finally i did figure out that headphones are an absolute necessity and that my internal speakers will not work, and i'm fine with that. BTW, i have the "mix ratio control" all the way to playback. Any ideas?