Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2022, 05:13 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

I have my hdx card and bm intensity in the same echo thunderbolt chassis. I use them with my MacBook pro running the studio. Works fine with no issues.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlybunny View Post
I have my hdx card and bm intensity in the same echo thunderbolt chassis. I use them with my MacBook pro running the studio. Works fine with no issues.
Thanks for clarifying, are you on a M1 machine?
Old 03-14-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTools1963 View Post
I have the opportunity to send my new 2021 Mac Mini M1 back and replace it with the Studio with the M1 Max. I am wondering if PT Ultimate will run on it? It is not showing as qualified yet, that I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I am hearing, people are running Ultimate with 12.2.1 just fine.
No AVID complete bundle though.

Other plugins may vary.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
The end of the Apple "Peek Performance" event gave a teaser about the Mac Pro transition to Apple Silicon. The presenter simply said something to the effect that this leaves one more Mac to be released with Apple Silicon...but that is for another day. So that would be a strong suggestion that one is coming.
Word is that it will be four M1 Max Chips together so a Super Ultra I suppose. I myself have a trash can 12 core w 64 and opted for the base model with 64gb of ram and a 4TB ssd. I dont do video and its my home studio and based on the research on these running in MBP should be way over kill for my needs. If you are not a pro running a **** load of stuff, you dont need the ultra. The only thing that could change that is the memory requirements and then you may want to wait for the pro if you are in that category anyway. My biggest concern was the number of ports but you can run multiple monitors off a single cable (i searched amazon on this) or get some form of dock or hub. Just my line of thinking and looking forward to selling my trashcan.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:51 PM

Could be a while on the new stuff. Foxxconn just shutdown their main factory in China due to COVID spike.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:54 PM

Yup. Glad I got my new M1. If I had sent it back, I would have been back-paddling for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re-Recording Mixer/Sound Designer
Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Pro Tools HD Accel Version 10.3.8
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 32GB Ram
Old 03-14-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoleitao View Post
Thanks for clarifying, are you on a M1 machine?
No… I’m on a 2019 MacBook Pro. I mix indie feature films, docs, tv, commercials in 5.1 and stereo.

I have 2 thunderbolt cables connecting everything to the laptop. One cable to the sonnet with hdx and blackmagic. The other cable connects to 2 daisy chained hubs. The hubs have ethernet, 4 ssd drives, usb controllers, and 2 extra external monitors and atem mini. Works like a charm and I can take the laptop on the road. Looking forward to using this same setup with Mac studio. Knock on wood I can get it up and running ok. I’m sure a lot of my plugins won’t work. I will keep the laptop as a backup for old sessions. I can hopefully just swap the cables and go.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Could be a while on the new stuff. Foxxconn just shutdown their main factory in China due to COVID spike.
Aaargh... right when I was about to pull the trigger.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlybunny View Post
That's great news! What one do you have and what kind of work are you doing?
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 03-15-2022, 06:01 AM
Development Partner

I've been taking a few measurements and reading online specs for PCIe enclosures over Thunderbolt (3 and 4 are equivalent in speed terms). The top transfer rate over T3 is 2750MB/s. That's not exactly slow. But then I retested my internal M.2 RAID 0. This uses a pair of Samsung 970 EVOs on the Sonnet card. The speed I'm getting is better than 4900 write/5200 read--nearly twice as fast.

The 2750 limit isn't a problem for HDX, but it might be a more significant limit for those of us using lots of VIs. The M1 Ultra's max memory spec is a little low if you're loading up a big orchestra, so we're all going to be relying more on streaming our instruments from storage. The M1 Ultra probably has more than enough power to manage the instruments, but it's possible that T3 speeds act as a throttle. I'm replacing my I9 Macbook with an M1-Max (looks like Covid might slow that coming out of China), which will at least give me some experience in the transition. But I'm hoping that the upcoming Mac Pro offers several slots for M.2.