Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Re: CPU Overload never seems to be fixed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
Agreed
If the 3rd party is so to blame (frequent sw developer finger pointing, been going for decades )
Then why don’t they crash other daws as frequently
some developers might make the plug in using a AU format and then do a poor port to AAX. Or just poor AAX encoding, taking short cuts etc. Ya never know.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 06-13-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
some developers might make the plug in using a AU format and then do a poor port to AAX. Or just poor AAX encoding, taking short cuts etc. Ya never know.
Or you can just look at it as AU and VST just work and other Daw's don't have this issue! Or AAX is not good, I never had this issue with RTAS.
I once had an issue with OMF and one company stated that Avid changed things when they wanted to and didn't always notify them when they did, maybe they do the same with AAX Ya never know

but the bottom line is people on this forum accept whatever they're told and no one holds Avid accountable they just find work arounds for issues that need to be fixed. I use ProTools everyday and sometimes I wish I didn't have to but when you get sessions almost daily its just not feasible to transfer them to another program to mix.

I guess i'm one of those people who don't hold them accountable i'm still using their software lol
Old 06-13-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Too many balls in the air...Im defending Avid on this because theyve got to be 'responsible' for every mal-educated programmer writing junk code thatll bring PT to its knees , AND the OS manufacturer/competitor! throwing monkey wrenches at them. The reason its successful for me is I stuck to a specific OS/PT combo and refused to change. Everything worked fantastic till one stupid third parrty plugin, so my empirical test was confirmed. ITs NOT PT or the third party audio driver or the whatever, its the garbage sludg-ins that ruin it.
so you're saying that you get no 6101,9173 errors or cpu spikes ever and that your pro tools never crashes? the reason I ask is because i'd like to know what plugins you use and your computer, sound card etc. also for one bad plugin that's a pretty broad statement any proof here? (theyve got to be 'responsible' for every mal-educated programmer)
Old 06-13-2020, 06:20 PM

One crash in 9 years , running Mountain Lion, PT10. Running Echo and Mbox audio units, and only an AIR sampler, with Avid plugins. Have done hundreds of SFX episodes for tv series, some episodes running 2000 used clips,4-5 thousand in the bin, about 56-72 track template. Imac , average.
All worked perfect until I tried installing a chorus-y plugin for a VO. cpu went crazy, hiccups the whole shebang, WITH ONE VO track.......thats my 'emprical evidence' haha......not very empirical, but it did prove ,to me, that theoretically AVID can have NOTHING to do with the show stopping problems people are facing. Clips or tracks means zero, its the mal-designed plugins from external builders.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
One crash in 9 years , running Mountain Lion, PT10. Running Echo and Mbox audio units, and only an AIR sampler, with Avid plugins (snip...)

With all due respect, why the F are you posting in the PT 2020 Forum? Of course, everyone here knows that PT10 was super stable, yada yada yada, but the fact is that most of us have to keep our systems up to date in order to use current features that are used in current sessions being interchanged between facilities.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
With all due respect, why the F are you posting in the PT 2020 Forum? Of course, everyone here knows that PT10 was super stable, yada yada yada, but the fact is that most of us have to keep our systems up to date in order to use current features that are used in current sessions being interchanged between facilities.

Not to mention, the majority of us rely on third party plugins. You know, the ones from established developers that apparently can’t code to save their lives.

One wonders why AVID even allows us to host plugins at all if they’re so detrimental to the stable functionality of their DAW.

/s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2020, 11:43 PM

This really is the bane of my existence. Every crashing/hanging issue I've ever had with AAX onwards has really been related to 3rd party plugins. I know nothing about coding but surely Avid could create a system to ensure 3rd party plugins don't entirely collapse ProTools if something is coded badly, like that sandbox thing you mention.

I feel like its measure of their care, for the wild west that is 3rd party plugins, is their failure to enforce shortcut standards for plugin automation. (the Ctrl-Cmd-click/Ctrl-Alt-Cmd-Click functions)

I've spent 18+ hours over the last week trying to trouble-shoot doing the old plugin swap out to try to isolate the culprits for different issues on my new system, fresh installed 3 months ago. I have support cases open...

Forrester
Old 06-14-2020, 12:38 AM

That is not how any if these audio plugin systems really work, the latency requirements means things don't get to run in sandboxes. The reality is a nightmare of C++ modules that can do whatever they want. The small coding mistakes mistake in a plugin, small incompatibilities, etc. can cause all sorts of problems.

The world of plugin developers seems to varies greatly, from companies with serious engineering and QA efforts to folks that seem to throw stuff over the fence. And complicated by developers working across so many platforms, PC and Mac and VST/AU/AAX/AAX-DSP. Lots of companies nowadays are relying on JUCE for plugin development/runtime so now you have another layer of abstraction/third party software in the stack (PACE acquiring JUCE was a brilliant move for them. PACE has this industry by the short and curlies).

So are some plugins and vendors problematic . Absolutely.

Has Avid also got issues? Hell yes. The transition to AAX could have been handled batter. They sure seemed to lose some heavy weight engineering talent at bad times. There have been too many third party plugin issues, which suggests that tooling and testing provided to develops could be better... but OTOH some of this may just be caused by change, plugin generation changes with other DAWs were not all pretty. And the the actual AAE engine performance had serious issues until the 2019.5 upgrade (especially for folk running long chains of plugins). And instead of fixing those issues fast Avid dawdled for years wasted time shipping Pro Tools First, and cloud collaboration and other crap that just does not work. I am surprised Avid is still in busienss (anybody want to guess how bad Avid's Q2 numbers will be?) But folks here presumably want to get stuff done, and if you are having problems today, guessing the blaming lies with Avid or plugin developers is not going to help you, and we have no idea any particular case if what the cause is unless testing shows it likely is.

But many issues I see are still user created... old crappy plugins that in many cases are not even officially supported, demos left installed (uh which idiot has done this recently... :blush:). etc. We cannot fix Avid's numerous problems, we cannot fix the engineering of different plugins, but we can keep our systems set up as best as we can, and when problems happen we can pound through some sensible troubleshooting... and hopefully find out quickly if it is just a totally messed up system, or if plugin, something new to Pro Tools or some other issue. Lots of users on DUC don't take responsibility for things as basic as good backs ups or doing clean upgrades, or testing/having a way to back out of an OS upgrade etc. and the it blows my mind people will be so careless when we should all know Pro Tools systems can be so flakey.

Especially on Mac with so many OS updates happening (and a new Pro Tools 2020.5) maybe its an OS caused issue ( maybe OS-plugin compatibility). And some of these have been gnarly, e.g. with rendering/graphic changes. So while "always suspect plugins" is still a good starting point, the approach with CPU errors should always be to as quickly as possible work to include or exclude third party plugins as a cause. (And we already know, unrelated to plugins, 2020.5 has issues with telemetry to Avid causing UI problems).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-14-2020 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:09 AM

Some months ago I did some tests about aae errors and by removing all plugins, trashing pref, let pt to reinstall its core plugins I still had aae 9033 error with a new clean session. Running hdx with avid hd I/O. Definitively the most buggy sw on the earth.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:47 AM

Putting the blame on third party software developers to cover Avid's incompetence, is a far stretched argument. ProTools sucks big time, on handling the processing power of a system, where in the SAME system other DAWs are almost flawless with the exact same third party plugins. It gives -9xxx errors even on a loaded Mac Pro 2019 model. What kind of machine ProTools need to run without issues then, the ones they use in NASA?

So, ProTools IS the issue, as far as i remember, had the worst DAW performance on a native system amongst all other DAWs.

To be fair though, I saw an "improvement" with the release of 2020.3 on older projects with the -9173 error were playback stopped immediately, but now at least least keeps playing with cpu meter lit red and stuck @100%... Really?

On new projects though, this error is still imminent and now if the playback stops i need to quit the session and reload it again, because the -9173 error insists and cannot continue to work. Terrible experience especially with clients next to you watching the session. Watched a video from Waves with Tony Maserati experiencing the same issue....ridiculous.

Avid has not the resources to develop their software as it should, they currently are in a "maintenance mode", doing the absolute minimum so they can collect annual fees, but for how long? Pushing the subscription model even more, will send more and more users to another DAWs... as some of you already turned to another solutions, many more will follow. ProTools for music production will become obsolete in time.

Cheers!