Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Upgrade from PT11 to PT12 Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
My impression is that if you ever let your "Upgrade/support Plan" expire, whatever version you are currently on becomes perpetual in it's current state.

So in effect you are still always owning a perpetual license, just not necessarily perpetual updates.

Then, down the line, if you want to get back on the train, you'd have to revert to a "Subscription Plan" or purchase a new system.

As far as "leasing" or "Subscribing" it is definitely the way of the future. Everyone I've spoken with (all professionals) that have subscription software (ie Adobe) is happy with the process.

IMO (not that I claim to know coding) the theory that AVID could do more incremental feature implementation makes sense from the standpoint that they could suss out potential conflicts more easily and maintain more reliability.
I see what you're saying, but the subscription doesn't feel comfortable to me as both a software AND hardware user. The hardware is completely specific to the software, i.e. I can't go out and purchase another DAW and have it work to my HDX card. And as I said, I don't mind paying for upgrades, i.e. integer upgrades... 11 to 12, for example. On top of that, my hardware is 'out of warranty' by now, so, what would a 'support plan' do for me? BTW, Adobe sucks too.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
The hardware is completely specific to the software, i.e. I can't go out and purchase another DAW and have it work to my HDX card.
What a great point.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 01-29-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
My impression is that if you ever let your "Upgrade/support Plan" expire, whatever version you are currently on becomes perpetual in it's current state.

So in effect you are still always owning a perpetual license, just not necessarily perpetual updates.

Then, down the line, if you want to get back on the train, you'd have to revert to a "Subscription Plan" or purchase a new system.

As far as "leasing" or "Subscribing" it is definitely the way of the future. Everyone I've spoken with (all professionals) that have subscription software (ie Adobe) is happy with the process.

IMO (not that I claim to know coding) the theory that AVID could do more incremental feature implementation makes sense from the standpoint that they could suss out potential conflicts more easily and maintain more reliability.

I do know programming, and you are absolutely correct...

As with anything else, the fewer the variables, the easier it is to test and trouble-shoot.

No matter how hard we try, maintaining effective communication among programmers during the development process is almost impossible.

Suppose you have an existing application, with five programmers working on different features in parallel, with a single release date, it is almost impossible to test for issues introduced by interactions between the new features before the common release date.

But, when programmers are working in a serial fashion, with a series of "when it's finished" release dates "feature 1" can be released and any issues that come up "in the wild" can be located and addressed before "feature 2" has finished its testing regimen.

All in all, it's a win-win for all involved...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
I see what you're saying, but the subscription doesn't feel comfortable to me as both a software AND hardware user. The hardware is completely specific to the software, i.e. I can't go out and purchase another DAW and have it work to my HDX card. And as I said, I don't mind paying for upgrades, i.e. integer upgrades... 11 to 12, for example. On top of that, my hardware is 'out of warranty' by now, so, what would a 'support plan' do for me? BTW, Adobe sucks too.
I'm afraid you have an "expectation" problem...

Some people bought a TDM system a week before HDX was released. It came with a specific version of Pro Tools HD, on specific Apple and Windows operating systems.

If it didn't meet their requirements at that specific time, they should not have purchased it.

Avid implicitly promised it would work with a particular version of Pro Tools, running on specific operating systems. That's it.

Because Avid had a history of having newer versions of Pro Tools work with older hardware, and of providing updates to allow it to function with later operating systems, some people may have developed certain expectations.

But, Avid never promised Pro Tools would be forward or backward compatible with anything, and they are under no legal or moral obligation to do so.

It's not a pleasant situation to be in, but you can't blame Avid for whatever expectations you may have developed.

I learned a long time ago that if I want to see a newer or faster or shinier computer released tomorrow, all I have to do is buy the current model today. And that's just the way things work...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
...when programmers are working in a serial fashion, with a series of "when it's finished" release dates "feature 1" can be released and any issues that come up "in the wild" can be located and addressed before "feature 2" has finished its testing regimen.

All in all, it's a win-win for all involved...
Combine that with all customers being on telephone support and they'll know about issues "in the wild" much faster than in the past.

I've had incredible phone service experiences from Apple about iTunes running on my PC and Dell about a problem with my workstation computer. It's a whole different thing than trying to write up a problem and communicate by email. The person on the phone can ask questions and has a database of known problems at hand among with work-arounds.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthepick View Post
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates. Life is just a subscription.
Only to those who choose to subscribe to religion.

Carry on....

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
"

....this thread is getting more and more like Fox News...
What, you mean an inconvenient truth? You mean it actually had fact verses inflated rhetoric that has no basis of fact?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-29-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I learned a long time ago that if I want to see a newer or faster or shinier computer released tomorrow, all I have to do is buy the current model today. And that's just the way things work...
This reminds me of a particular computer store here in LA a few years back. A giant sign on the back wall said...

"Obsolescence, It's that thing that happens as you leave the store with your purchases."

They are no longer there though.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
"Obsolescence, It's that thing that happens as you leave the store with your purchases."

They are no longer there though.

Nice
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
1) People buying an upgrade to PT11 now get 12 for free when it comes out,
2) Pro Tools 12 is not available yet,
3) You don't have to do anything yet,
4) You don't have to anything when Pro Tools 12 is released,
5) You do have to make a decision about upgrading Pro Tools by end of 2015,
6) The upgrade to PT12 costs $199,
7) The upgrade includes a renewable support plan at $199 annually,
8) If you don't upgrade, your PT licence will be stuck at PT11 unupgradable,

9) If you later decide you want a newer version of PT ...
a) You could to buy a new licence at $899,
b) Or you could 'rent' a licence, but if you stop renting it stops working,
b) You'll have two licences,
c) One able to run PT10/11,
d) The other able to run whatever is current at the time of purchase, plus possibly older versions (for example, when first available we've been told that the new licence bundle will include licences for 10, 11 and 12),
e) That new licence, which includes support plan, will also run any newer versions released while the support plan is active,
f) The same rules apply to that new licence regarding renewing the support plan, if you don't keep renewing it annually, it stops being upgradable.
Nigel, I believe it was you concerned with the future for Educational PT license holders? I am one as well. I work at a college. I asked Avid a few months back if I could upgrade from the EDU license and they said there were no paths to upgrade from the EDU. So if that's dead in the water, I'm now considering buying a "full" PT 11/10 vanilla bundle license now. If I buy from a dealer (always cheaper), I want to know if I will I get a free upgrade to 12 when it comes out, and also curious if that buys me a year of the Support Plan too? Or is that only if purchased through Avid?