Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Computer crapping out at under 50% of CPU limit in Pro Tools. What gives?

Macbook select 2 processors in RTAS Engine: CPU errors every few seconds

Macbook select 1 processor in RTAS Engine: Pretty stable

Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Computer crapping out at under 50% of CPU limit in Pro Tools. What gives?

Flommer -- I'm using 10.5.6. Didn't use any combo updater, this is just what already came on my Imac when I first got it. Didn't install any update disks or anything like that either. I'm not sure which version of PT8 I'm using. How do I find that out? I didn't try uninstalling and reinstalling yet, but I just installed it for the first time recently (on a brand new computer) and this problem was there from the get go.

I noticed I have an eSATA connection on my external HD and Imac. Might it help trying this connection, or is only FW supported by protools?

Henno -- I only use blank sessions.

Jazzy J -- I tried reducing the processors from 2 to 1, but this only reduced overall performance, so I'm back at 2.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 AM

There is nothing specific in this about solving your problem, but it is something to try:

If you open PT then in the first menus go to About PRoTools you will see the version number. You probably just have version 8.0. Go to this page:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=37953

You can DL 8.0cs3 here. These aren't "full" updates, they just deal with certain bugs and aren't necessary for everyone to install. I think most people install them anyway..

Uninstall/reinstall sometimes fixes problems too.

10.5.8 is now approved, I think, and that's another step you could try. The DL is almost 1GB for the combo updater because it includes all the OS components.. Software update sometimes skips files that end up causing problems with PT..

eSATA, as far as I know, is "unofficially approved" meaning Digi hasn't fully tested it, but they also have no reason to think it won't work. I don't think eSATA is any different from internal SATA as far as the technicalities of the protocol go. That could be a good option as it is potentially faster than FW (the HD mechanism itself is the bottle-neck) and I didn't know iMacs had an eSATA port. I'm glad apple put it on there. They should do so with the laptops, too..

But I hate to tell you, you might just be bumping up against the limits of your computer.

Eleven, for instance is a very power hungry plugin and it might not be possible to run more than 5 on your system. Maybe other iMac users could compares notes.

One other thing you can try it to remove all the plugins from your plugin folder that you aren't using in your test session. Just put them in the Unused plugin folder. See if this makes any difference. Then try a different test with none of the plugins you just tested..
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Avid

5 instances of Eleven or 10-12 instances of TL Space (plus all the other plug-ins you were using in that session) seem like about what you could expect out of that machine.

Eleven is very CPU intensive, as is TL Space.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
5 instances of Eleven or 10-12 instances of TL Space (plus all the other plug-ins you were using in that session) seem like about what you could expect out of that machine.
Thanks for the replies. If it's just the limit of my machine I guess I can live with that, but then I'm just wondering why wouldn't my cpu usage meter get higher than 60% before it freezes? And why the sudden erratic spikes on the meter as soon as it reaches that 60% zone? And why doesn't this problem, as far as I know, happen to any other Imac users, if it's just the inherent limitation of the machine?

On my old system (PT 6.9 and then 7.3 on a Mac mini OS10.4), as well as many others I've worked on, nothing like this has ever happened; the usage meter increased gradually until it reached the limit specified in the Playback Engine menu (usually between 85-95%) before it had problems. Granted, the overall performance was considerably lower, but the metering made sense. And on my new system, with only one processor allocated, the meter increases gradually until my specified limit as well. It's only when 2 processors are enabled that it stops way short of the limit. But since the overall performance is still better with 2 processors enabled, though only very slightly, I guess I'll leave them both in for now.

Btw -- guess there is no eSATA port on the imac after all. Not sure where I got that one...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Unhappy Re: Computer crapping out at under 50% of CPU limit in Pro Tools. What gives?

We're having a similar problem. We got 2 instances of Guitar Rig 3 and 1 instance of Stylus RMX. CPU usage is barely 7%, and we get the error message: You are running out of CPU power. Remove some RTAS plug-ins or increase the CPU Usage Limit in the Playback Engine Dialog (-9128).

We're at 85% CPU Usage Limit currently. And it's showing barely 7% CPU Usage. The funny thing is that we've been using it like this for a few weeks now, and this just started to happen tonight.

Stylus would freeze up, and then our MIDI piece goes wild (all the lights blink - when there should be only 1 channel midi connected). We have to restart the midi piece, and reinstantiate Stylus to get it back. but then a few mins later it would happen again.

At first we thought our session was too large (over 150 tracks). But then we tried with a blank session, one audio track and one plug. SAME THING!

Stylus is the latest version. Here're the specs for our system.

Mac Pro 2.26 Quad Core x 2
16 Gb RAM
Pro Tools 8.0 cs 3
Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 PM

Sorry -- y'all are probably sick of hearing about this at this point, but...

I tried connecting a friend's old mbox 1 that he had used with PT6 (via USB directly into my Imac) instead of the digi003, and the cpu usage issue went away. The usage meter increased gradually -- without erratic spikes -- until reaching the limit I had specified in the playback engine, like it's supposed to do. The performance also improved dramatically -- I was able to load 9 tracks with the Eleven plugin, whereas before I could only load about 5 or 6. There eventually were other new errors associated with the mbox, stuff about "holding off USB audio", but yeah, the usage problem at least seemed to have abated.

Given this, that proves it can't just be the limits of my Imac then, right? Does the fact that the mbox works in this respect when the digi003 doesn't shed any light on other possible diagnoses? Perhaps it's a firewire problem? Or specifically a FW 400>800 connection issue, which is required to connect the digi003 to the Imac? Or something else entirely?

Btw, I did also install PT8cs3, but that didn't do the trick either...

Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM

For what it's worth, I get very similar issues with PT8. I have 7 processors assigned to PT and 16G of RAM, but I get "Out of CPU" error messages regularly when the usage meter is sitting at 15-25%.

I've pared back to only plugins that are on the compabitility list to no avail. I've just learned to live with periodic interruptions and I'm hoping some future update will correct it.

I never had these issues with v7 and I'm not doing anything differently.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully if it's a common enough issue Digi will come up with a fix in the near future.

I may just go back to 7 for now too. Sucks, doesn't it?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Yeah. I really hope Digi address this soon. It is impossible to work when you get that kind of error message every 2 mins.

we've reinstalled PT along with cs update, reinstalled the latest version of plug (stylus). Still no worky!