Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2021, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Automatically Copy Files on Import Preference should be default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Plenty of us don't want that as a default in post production. We don't want thousands upon thousands of files copied by accident.

As for making sure the session has all its files wherever you want, the workspace is where that can easily be checked and corrected. How to manage and manipulate that should probably be taught.
Valid point, but it really comes down to, what is the greater evil. Showing up to an important session and not be able to function because you are lacking files? Or accidentally having duplicates of files? I think it is an obvious answer that most people would prefer the accident of duplicates over not having the files at all.

For cases where people are wanting to have files referenced rather than copied, it is likely a case where the project stays on the same computer. This means the preference only needs to be changed once.

In the case of people needing the files to always exist on their portable hard drive wherever they go, they will be dealing with multiple Pro Tools setups meaning that they would have to check that preference on many computer setups.

I also know that it is possible to check whether the session all exists in your session folder by diving into windows/(also show full path in files), but it isn’t easily visible and easily missed. If it was one of the small indicator lights on the toolbar, it would be easy to notice such as when it is red so you know files are missing. Also, fixing the solution with the option to copy files into the session folder would sure make it easy to fix the problem when you have a session that is referencing files from all over the computer hard drives.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio

Last edited by Dizzi45Z; 03-22-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
...I think their should be an easily recognizeable way to quickly know if all of your files are in the session folder. For example, the Green file indicator in the tool bar could be orange in the situations where they are not all in the folder ....
I definitely don't want copy on import to be default behavior, but this ^^^ is an excellent idea and I'd love to see it.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-22-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reml@P View Post
I think a lot of students get themselves in a mess because they naturally drag and drop, something Pro Tools doesn't seem to like when moving sessions between systems.
As explained above, drag and drop is more reliable and bug free over using the "File-import-Audio" function that currently does not copy unless you specifically tell it to copy. I never use the Import Audio window on my home computer and I have never had any issues from dragging and dropping files into Pro Tools with the automatically copy Files on Import preference on.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-22-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Because it’s doubling the disk space. The file already exists, so you’re duplicating however much space it consumes.

Doesn’t really bother any of us these days, but I assume (as referenced in the first post) that it’s a long standing default from the days when a 9Gb drive cost an arm and a leg.

Waiting for the obligatory’9Gb? When I was starting out...’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But it just creates headaches with Disc Allocation and clients... When its checked on default, ALL files will be in the session folders. Just as easy to "Uncheck" The box I guess for all the post guys. Post guys get everything....

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi45z View Post
all students at our school had their own hard drives with their projects on them and were required to work on different computers across campus at different production studios and on their own computers. Then they would show up at their private lessons and often be missing files. The biggest culprit was that they dragged and dropped files (loops, exports from another sequencer such as logic) into pro tools on a computer that did not have this option checked.

But beyond students.... I now don’t teach and i have clients show up all the time with sessions that are missing audio files because their preference wasn’t checked on their home computer and there was no way possible that i am going to be able to teach all pro tools users i’ll ever come into contact that they need to go in and check that preference.

I decided to post this today because i saw a post on a facebook pro tools group where someone was devastated because they worked in a studio that was now closed and they had an important session coming up and they were missing audio files. A couple months ago i had someone else reach out to me because they were missing session files from working on multiple computers and they were devastated because they couldn’t find where the files were. While i know how to find where the files are, etc. It is a huge problem for many people, especially newer pro tools users.
exactly!!!

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Or accidentally having duplicates of files? I think it is an obvious answer that most people would prefer the accident of duplicates over not having the files at all.
When we have shared storage, etc. it's more than a duplicate file issue. Different departments can be working on the same audio -- if a fix is made by one user that only happened to their local files instead of referencing the shared batch, it can be a massive problem to untangle at a later stage. And though you may look at basic band/song recording, dialogue mics/production mic recordings can be massive for a feature production. I can't even remember if you can cancel out of a copy over of audio files.

Quote:
For cases where people are wanting to have files referenced rather than copied, it is likely a case where the project stays on the same computer. This means the preference only needs to be changed once.
Nope. There are departments (sound effect editors, foley, dialogue, adr, etc.) In addition there are mix assistants. For mixes, I'll often have one or two assistants assembling mix sessions pulling together recordings into templates, routing, etc before I get the session that then re-references local files.

Quote:
In the case of people needing the files to always exist on their portable hard drive wherever they go, they will be dealing with multiple Pro Tools setups meaning that they would have to check that preference on many computer setups.
I always tell new users/clients to bring files only using Save Copy in (with copy audio files checked.)
Even when working on recording dates, at breaks, I do a Save Copy to a backup portable.
It's the cleanest/securest way to make sure the whole session is transferred. Every user should learn to do that if/when they move complete projects.

Last edited by BScout; 03-22-2021 at 10:16 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 03-22-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
If it was one of the small indicator lights on the toolbar, it would be easy to notice such as when it is red so you know files are missing.
There's already the red indicator for missing files. I wouldn't be against it having a second colour though for your "session folder". Then, it's back to possible user inexperience not knowing what that indicator means. Disk allocation is complicated -- your reference to "Session Folder" may make sense in your world but in others, disk allocation is done for tracks for different reasons: in delivery, I'll have different tracks print to different subfolders (stereo, surround, stems); in recording, I'll sometimes allocate tracks to different subfolders (strings, live mix, guitars, drums). So an indicator light can be too little info -- is it only checking the default "Audio Files" folder? Is it checking only the hard drive? Is it checking the folder that the session happens to reside in and all subfolders from there? Does everyone just get used to an orange "indicator" light who works with more complicated file/folder structures? I'm not against this idea but just putting out that this indicator for the "new user" can be more complicated and potentially give someone too much confidence they have their files.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Also, fixing the solution with the option to copy files into the session folder would sure make it easy to fix the problem when you have a session that is referencing files from all over the computer hard drives.
I've not seen this. There's Copy. There's Add. In Import Session Data, the option is clear there too. The only time I remember versions having issue was drag and drop of files. Maybe I'm missing a bug that's happening.

(sorry for the three separate posts, the "reply" on the forum wasn't working and then somehow worked if split up)
Old 03-22-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
...The only time I remember versions having issue was drag and drop of files...
This has been my experience too - import dialog is always solid and tells you what you need to know. Drag and drop, while convenient, has had issues over the years. Personally, I *always* use the import dialog for bringing in files.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-22-2021, 10:16 PM

I would love copy on import as default too!
On a one hour job with people throwing you emailed files, usb sticks and website downloads, drag and drop is a god send!
Add to that the Import Audio screen on PC Pro Tools is not friendly on the eye.
It's only really an issue for me due to preferences being so fragile in the Pro Tools app, I'd much rather see that fixed.