How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-14-2021, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Carbon- Basic Questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
What HW BUFFER setting are you all using most commonly. Should set it higher (512 samples?) since I use carbons DSP for low latency while tracking ??

Thanks again !
Only reason to set the buffer low is because you're tracking VIs or Native plugs.
Otherwise, you can just leave it at 1024 - it simply uses less CPU.

Dominic
Old 11-14-2021, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Carbon- Basic Questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Only reason to set the buffer low is because you're tracking VIs or Native plugs.
Otherwise, you can just leave it at 1024 - it simply uses less CPU.

Dominic
Makes sense. Thanks for this advice. I don’t use software instruments. I track and overdub myself playing acoustic instruments and do lots of editing and punch in etc. the only thing that matters to me is ultra low latency when doing this. That’s why I love the Carbon, the DSP mode really makes things tight. I never use plugins when tracking. And usually I’ll use some on a drum bus and the master bus that’s it . I come from analog hardware and tape world , so I’m picky with this stuff and many plugins destroy the texture of a track by simply inserting them on a track in my recordings.
So if I understand correctly , 1024 sample HW buffer will yield a more solid transport (start stop record , Apple k,, etc ) without operational lags and glitches, without impairing anything regarding input latency in DSP mode…

Thanks so much