Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2021, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Anyone use EQ-III for mastering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshuajusic View Post
That means reversing phase of one and playing both back, right? They didn't totally cancel each other.
If your stuff has modulation (a.k.a. reverb) it will never totally cancel
Old 01-23-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

Hi,

If its the same bounce it should.

The Weiss is old digital coding that was great in its day but there are better out there now. I haven't even considered using it for the last 2-3 years.

If you believe everything you read on the internet then any EQ and a limiter or Ozone preset "x" will get you a Grammy award winning master, regardless of experience. You just need a cheat sheet and the secret formula that people are peddling.

Just for the info, i use both digital and analogue and both have their strengths.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
We are talking about EQ comparisons, I don’t remember anyone mentioning reverb or any other type of modulation. But in the case of EQ emulations there’s more likely to be different types of colouration using saturation etc involved which may prevent cancellation...
Old 01-23-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Its the same with the Eventi.... plugs.....we have/had all the hardware and tested the software, and happily kept using the hardware....very expensive , but worth it.
The Eventide software is in no way sonically comparable to the hardware, nor is it a 1:1 port, nor does Eventide claim either the latter two (even if they suggest that the software has the sound of the hardware). I LOVE the Eventide sound, but I don't use any of the software when there's a rack unit just to the left. No comparison, imo.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:44 PM

Y'all know your ****. The most prominent difference was the echo I had on the vocals. Fascinating.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I can post a HW vs SW efter the weekend just for the sake of you guys hearing how the SW is inferior. The heft of the HW is clearly noticeble....
Greetings on Australia Day/Invasion Day! (*)

Are you having a Long Weekend Holiday in Sweden, too?

(*) Explanation:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...ewing/13089624

Dynamics of Adelaide’s weekend:
SA devastated by deadly bushfires as firefighters continue battling blazes | South Australia | 7NEWS
https://youtu.be/eW3_NsnSe3I

Got to 42.7°C (108.86°F) on Sunday
Followed (thankfully!) up to 35mm Rain on Monday

Adelaide records its wettest January day in 44 years
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...-rain/13091746
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 01-25-2021 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Weather Report
Old 01-26-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Take a look at Softube Weiss EQ MP - try the Demo

https://www.softube.com/weiss-eq-mp

https://youtu.be/j_0-2ldRRqM

Lower latency than EQ1

Introductory price US $149

Weiss EQ1 or Weiss Complete Collection owners get EQ MP for free

Today's email:
if you own any other Weiss plug-in, you get an exclusive voucher to get EQ MP for only $109
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-28-2021, 09:17 AM

Reading the overwrought replies here trashing eqIII I did a blind listening test with identical settings comparing eqIII to the softube plugin. I couldn't hear a difference. Apparently for a non-golden ears type like me, eqIII is just fine.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Reading the overwrought replies here trashing eqIII I did a blind listening test with identical settings comparing eqIII to the softube plugin. I couldn't hear a difference. Apparently for a non-golden ears type like me, eqIII is just fine.
I don't see any "overwrought" sentiments here -- that's an over-amplified term. There are opinions, and some of them have come with qualification after careful consideration.

It's difficult to comment on your test without knowing any specifics, but as someone who's used both I'm amazed that you can't hear a difference when putting both to the test. Boost and cut various frequencies, on multiple types of material. If they appear to be processing the sound and leaving the same result then be happy that you have saved the money. I demoed EQ1 at its intensely high price, and although I wasn't looking to buy anything that day, after hearing it I could not sleep well without it, knowing what I was missing.

Last edited by Eric Lambert; 01-28-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:00 AM

Imo my goto just eq eq plug in is the Sony eqs. Lays out well on the icon d control and it works without any sonic signature.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk