Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Squeaky Noises Rendered in Fade Files

OK kids, here is a new one:
----------------
G4 800, 1GB Ram
HD 2
2 x 192 io
Sync io
Nanosyncs

OS 10.2.1
ProTools 6.1
---------------

This is happening consistently. I am getting this very strange squeaking sound from my fade files. It sounds like an old bicycle wheel or rusty hinge. This sounds a bit crazy - but when i render fades, i am hearing this annoying, squeaky noise when i play the fade back. the squeaks happen at the same place within the fade each time i play back and this is happening every time i make a fade. is this a dither problem?

I am in the middle of a record, and really don't want to take an afternoon to reinstall. i have taken the sync io and nanosyncs out of the "loop" and it makes no difference. doesn't seem to be a clocking issue. HELP!? if this is a new feature, i don't like it. Has anyone seen this?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Squeaky Noises Rendered in Fade Files

Is it loud, quiet, or barely audible?
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 01-20-2004, 01:17 PM

hmmm

well, i found the problem (sort of) the noise is only reaching the stereo buss thru one of my hardware inserts, a demeter spring reverb. it only happens after i have renderered a few fades and only squeaks when my session is playing thru a fade. i am stumped. muting the spring's aux track makes the noise stop. very odd. i will post an audio file of the noise at:

http://www.toddburke.com/duck

btw - these sessions are running at 88.2/24 and again, this happens regardless of clock source.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 PM

I'm not familiar with the hardware piece you mentioned, but if it's a digital box, try turning dithering off in the fades window.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:45 PM

it is an analog spring reverb by demeter. the squeak in question also comes thru between the time that i hit spacebar and the time playback begins, and then continuously while in play. the squeak also happens regardless of what i have assigned to the aux return that contains the hardware insert. it squeaks with every track in the session muted except the aux return. crazy.

the hardware insert is on inputs and outputs 1-2 of my first interface.

i guess this thread is over. maybe someone will come across it while pulling their hair out the way that i have for a few minutes now.

happy protooling, guys.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:34 PM

Maybe the springs need oil . Could it be some stray voltage or DC offset that is sending just enough current to set the springs in motion? Or maybe a physical vibration (from hitting the space bar). Seems like it must be something in the Demeter. Let us know when you figure it out. It's just wierd enough to be interesting.