Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 AM

Exclamation EuCon 2.6.0 Problems

Hi All,

I recently installed EuCon 2.6.0 on my iMac and updated all firmwares for my 3-unit setup: 1 MC Transport + 2 MC Mixes. I got several problems:

- For the firmware update, I connected each unit separetely by ethernet to my iMac's port. After each update, EuCon crashed. 3 updates = 3 crashes.

- When using a router to connect the 3 units by ethernet, my internet Airport stoped working. Had to disconnect the ethernet cable to get internet back.

- Yet when using a router with the units connected, EuCon recognises my 2 MC Mixes (but sometimes I have to manually add it to My Surfaces, it's not automatic!) but when the MC Transport is power on, EuCon acquires it but I can't add it to My Surfaces. I always get a "network error" message for the MC Transport. This happens every time the MC Transport is connected to the router, both with one or two MC Mixes atached.

- The MC Transport and each MC Mix works quite well when individually connected both directly to the router or to the ethernet port. Even both MC Mixes work fine through the router. The problem seems to be the MC Transport when working with another or both MC Mixes through the router.

Anyone experiencing the same sort of problems? HELP!

Thanks,

Nelson
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: EuCon 2.6.0 Problems

This may seem stupid, but did you try restarting your computer?

Eucon crash when IP addresses conflict after a change.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM

At least 20 times or maybe even more. One restart per each ethernet cable change.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Avid

A few things to try:

First, to 'reset' everything, navigate on your system hard drive to Users>your account>Library>Preferences and place the following files in the trash:

com.euphonix.eucon.plist
com.Euphonix.EuControl.plist

Then navigate to your system drive>Library>Preferences and put the following files in the trash:

com.euphonix.EuConSystem.plist
com.euphonix.install.EuControl.plist

Empty the trash and restart your computer.

Then in the Network system preference pane, make sure Airport is the first item listed.

Lastly you may want to set each control surface to use a static IP address - info on how to do that can be found in the guide for the surface or in the FAQ.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks for your reply.

However and for reference, it seems to be easier than that: I simply replaced the router with a switch. Job's done, all 3 units working perfectly.

The manual states that a router works better than a switch, but without any further explanation (why should I use a router? when should a pick a switch?).

You guys could update the manual and provide the missing info.

Thanks & regards,
Nelson
Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Avid

Which router brand and model was this? Usually routers are better, but quality can vary quite a bit, so maybe you got a defective one - OR it may not have been configured properly. Did you try a full reset of the router?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:03 PM

I didn't try a full reset on the router. I admit it could be internally damaged. Just gave it back and replaced it with a switch.

Nevertheless I still wonder why a router is preferable to a switch. I mean, what should be taken in consideration when choosing a router vs. switch? Manual shows no reference to this. Just mentions that a router is better but sometimes a switch is preferable. Like you stated: "usually routers are better". Why? What should to be taken in consideration by the final user when deciding what to use?

Anyway my problem's fixed. But this could be good reference to other fellow users.

Regards & thanks,
Nelson
Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonvaz View Post
I didn't try a full reset on the router. I admit it could be internally damaged. Just gave it back and replaced it with a switch.

Nevertheless I still wonder why a router is preferable to a switch. I mean, what should be taken in consideration when choosing a router vs. switch? Manual shows no reference to this. Just mentions that a router is better but sometimes a switch is preferable. Like you stated: "usually routers are better". Why? What should to be taken in consideration by the final user when deciding what to use?

Anyway my problem's fixed. But this could be good reference to other fellow users.

Regards & thanks,
Nelson
Well, a router and a switch perform different functions. A switch is for all computers to operate on one ethernet segment, which is where all the Eucon devices should sit.

A router forwards packets between two or more separate ethernet segments. For example, between 192.168.1.0 <-> 192.168.2.0. Only a switch is necessary here, not a router. I am surprised that the manual even suggests using one.

It is of course possible to plug your switch and Eucon gear into a wireless router, as long as you do it on the LAN/internal side.