Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Waves Petition 300 signatures!!!

Great. But it's not going to be enough for Waves. If it's only 300 people WUP'ing our Mercury, it's still only 60000 bucks for upgrades. Hardly worth doing any updates to the bundle, as far as Waves is concerned. Better than nothing though, but we should see thousands of customers before celebration...

That said, Waves AAX-DSP is a deal-breaker for me. Without Waves, I cannot justify buying HDX. AFAIK, HDX and Waves AAX-DSP are married together, there is not one without another.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Great. But it's not going to be enough for Waves. If it's only 300 people WUP'ing our Mercury, it's still only 60000 bucks for upgrades. Hardly worth doing any updates to the bundle, as far as Waves is concerned. Better than nothing though, but we should see thousands of customers before celebration...

That said, Waves AAX-DSP is a deal-breaker for me. Without Waves, I cannot justify buying HDX. AFAIK, HDX and Waves AAX-DSP are married together, there is not one without another.
Agreed 300 probably isn't enough but it's a start....

You're assuming Waves charge a WUP of $200. I don't think WUP covers a complete new plug-in format that needs to be coded from scratch.... And they have a LOT of plug-ins. I think they could justifiably charge a one-off WUP of $500. So that's $150000... And you if 1000 sign the petition over the next couple of months.....
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Agreed 300 probably isn't enough but it's a start....

You're assuming Waves charge a WUP of $200. I don't think WUP covers a complete new plug-in format that needs to be coded from scratch.... And they have a LOT of plug-ins. I think they could justifiably charge a one-off WUP of $500. So that's $150000... And you if 1000 sign the petition over the next couple of months.....
Think again.

Waves have been blamed of update-prices-out-of-this-world and the current price of 200 bucks a piece has been quite widely accepted. I don't think they can raise it even for AAX-DSP.

We do not know nearly enough. Waves thinks that they get X amount of new customers for creating AAX-DSP a d Y amount of old customers upgrading for Z amount of dollars. However many millions that may be, we don't know, but Waves surely knows how much they need to invest into developing such product.

Now it should be perfectly clear that AAX-DSP is just as fine a format than TDM was before, so Waves could jump into it blindfolded, but Waves is a business and they need to have a solid business case for the investment.

Don't blame me for bringing this message, I'm the first individual that would love to use Waves AAX-DSP plugins. I'm just saying someone needs to decide whether we first need enough customers that *might* buy Waves AAX-DSP or whether just releasing Waves AAX-DSP would generate enough interest. I myself would make the decision of developing Waves AAX-DSP plugins if I had the power of doing so, but hey... :/
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Waves AAX DSP Petition

How much would you guys be willing to pay for TDM to AAX-DSP upgrade?

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10 - macOS Big Sur 11.6
10 Core iMac Pro
64GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB
UA Apollo x8
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretfingers View Post
How much would you guys be willing to pay for TDM to AAX-DSP upgrade?
Frankly I don't think a Mercury bundle user would mind a 500 to 1000 update price for the amount of plugins that includes. I wouldn't mind it. At 1000 that's only 10% of the price of the tdm bundle. And someone who has used it for 5 or + years have more than recovered the cost, or should have. Comes a point where it's fine to think of your own wallet, but you also have to think of the company that provides your tools, if you always expect free or close to free updates, that company will struggle in the long run. Think of us all that have only paid 200 for the wup in 5 or 6 year time, that's only 2% of the price we paid the mercury bundles.

200-500 for the platinum would range a 7.5% to 19% cost of the TDM bundle cost for the upgrade, that's still very decent for the number of years the people have had a very low update cost.

No I know some people will say that's it's ridiculous, but if you had a business that lived on the sales of the plugins (and hardware too) you would say updating my entire range, with the man hour that entails no matter how easy or near easy it is, is not worth it, if you do not get a bigger incentive that a measly 200 bucks for over 120 plugins (mercury). And if you can't understand that, well you really don't belong to the business world music or not.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 AM

If you're paying $200 for your WUP then $500 seems about right to me. Above $750 and I'd start another petition
Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 AM

Done
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 AM

Signed

Taff

www.bangpostproduction.com
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 AM

Hey Marsdy,

300 already? good job!

You should also start a petition for the lovely "TC unwrap".
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golfer View Post
Hey Marsdy,

300 already? good job!

You should also start a petition for the lovely "TC unwrap".
Thanks Serge.

I'm planning on starting petitions for all the 'missing' AAX DSP plug-ins. TC, Amp/Echo Farm, Virus Indigo.

If nothing else, the results will tell us which developers to avoid.