Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2022, 09:45 AM

Default Re: ARA2 Melodyne support coming to next version of Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
They word it as "ARA2 Melodyne" support. So it will only work with Melodyne? There are a few other ARA2 capable plugins.
According to David Cotton's article (see https://www.avid.com/resource-center/ara-melodyne): "Among the features, workflows, and enhancements to be introduced in the next Pro Tools release is ARA 2 support—specifically, a deep integration between Pro Tools and the Melodyne pitch and time solution. This has been one of the most requested features for Pro Tools, and it will soon be available to all users." (highlights mine)

So to answer your question — yes, it will only work with Melodyne.

I'm not going to b*tch about it as loudly as I have in the past, since Melodyne is the only thing I've personally ever really needed ARA support in Pro Tools for, and we're supposedly finally getting that. But, I really would have much preferred a generic implementation as opposed to "Deep Integration," as the latter implies (as with Audio-to-MIDI) specific Pro Tools hooks into Melodyne at a codebase level, as opposed to accommodating the ARA 2 framework at large... and calls into question when, if ever, will other ARA-enabled plugins be supported.

As far as "to all users" goes, I would expect all to mean just that. IMHO, as many non-Ultimate Pro Tools users as Avid pissed off when they switched to subscription-only plans, it would be foolish of them to alienate any more of them in the same year... unless of course their long-term goal is to divest themselves of all but their top-tier/paying customers.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblentz View Post
According to David Cotton's article (see https://www.avid.com/resource-center/ara-melodyne): "Among the features, workflows, and enhancements to be introduced in the next Pro Tools release is ARA 2 support—specifically, a deep integration between Pro Tools and the Melodyne pitch and time solution. This has been one of the most requested features for Pro Tools, and it will soon be available to all users." (highlights mine)

So to answer your question — yes, it will only work with Melodyne.
Someone on the previous page said integration with RX is coming, but they haven't responded since I asked where there was any evidence of this. I haven't seen any.

I'd actually upgrade to RX10 if it had integration with PT. Otherwise no.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-23-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Someone on the previous page said integration with RX is coming, but they haven't responded since I asked where there was any evidence of this. I haven't seen any.

I'd actually upgrade to RX10 if it had integration with PT. Otherwise no.
Well it's there for Logic, so I guess it's just a matter of time.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...al-editor.html
Old 09-24-2022, 02:28 AM

I wonder if this "deep integration" will place a higher load on the computer in general. Until now I would commit my Melodyne moves once happy and move on without additional processing running in the background.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
I wonder if this "deep integration" will place a higher load on the computer in general. Until now I would commit my Melodyne moves once happy and move on without additional processing running in the background.
Without ARA you need to read the audio into memory, with ARA you don't do that but instead need performance from your storage (which is not a problem nowadays).
Old 09-24-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
All guesswork but... going by the Scheps video, there are four Melodyne Track functions — Edit, Bypass, Clear, and Render. Although the manual Transfer process is eliminated, Melodyne by way of ARA will presumably at some point still have to preprocess/cache the audio data in order for it to be "instantly" available when Edit is enabled. When this preprocessing actually takes place is unclear, but that is when you might expect a higher CPU load, and also briefly whenever Melodyne caches an edit in order to avoid having to re-render it each playback in real-time.

Choosing Render would permanently(?) Commit your Melodyne edits on that track, likely in the form of a new audio clip. If this clip is just a cache composite, any processing at this stage should be negligible.

I guess we'll know more Tuesday.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:56 PM

Hey guys, this is something that crossed my mind. Is ARA integration hooked to yearly updates, or will it remain active if one has a perpetual license? In other words, will it disappear if I choose not to renew the annual Software Updates + Support Plan?
Old 09-27-2022, 03:23 PM

If you have a perpetual license and an active plan when the feature comes out, you get it permanently. Even if your plan expires later.
If you don't have an active plan when the feature comes out, you don't get it.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If you have a perpetual license and an active plan when the feature comes out, you get it permanently. Even if your plan expires later.
If you don't have an active plan when the feature comes out, you don't get it.
Thanks, BScout. I have a perpetual license and an active plan, but I don't intend to renew it when it expires next year.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:42 PM

The slightly shambolic and waffly webinar is on YouTube if, like me, you missed it:

https://youtu.be/2GQ5zjJOy2c

I'm with the comments here about how it is an issue that it is only docked. I find this is broader problem with Pro Tools - I've never got into Clip FX simply because it takes up so much real estate in the main arranger window. I don't want it there. Imagine using Clip FX at the top and Melodyne at the bottom, you'd have around 3 pixels left.

So in a future version of PT they need to code floating window versions of these features, ideally with tab options. I'd like a window on my third monitor (where all my effects usually live on top of the mixer) where I can tab between Clip FX and Melodyne. That would be good use of screen real estate.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM