Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2022, 09:22 AM

Default Pro Tools Education and commercial use

Before purchasing, I checked all of AVID’s store pages, FAQs, support sites, and forums about commercial use for education purchases of Pro Tools and AVID never stated otherwise. I made sure that it was the right license. It was only until after I bought it I saw one line in the EULA that says education is for non-commercial use but Avid is very vague and doesn’t describe what it means. What if I’m a student or graduate and I get a summer internship and use it there, or if I mix songs for my friends, or make YouTube videos and have monetization or create songs for an album I’m working on or something, are these things not OK to do in the education license? Does AVID understand the needs of students and are lenient towards these situations since they use Pro Tools for many different reasons and it’s description is vague, or is AVID very strict and will revoke my license of Pro Tools immediately at any time? I hope someone from AVID can tell me, I tried contacting support but to no avail.

Edit: This issue was solved, update below.

Last edited by Xas; 05-03-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Education and commercial use

(A) You won’t get a refund. They just don’t.
(B) If I understand it correctly, you get the discount because you’re a student (or in my case, an adjunct professor.)
The software is, of course, the same, regardless of the designation. And from where I sit, especially as a former instructor, if you use the software in a “non-educational” environment, that still qualifies as part of the education. Consider it extra-curricular. They’re not going to “track” you and what you’re doing.
If there’s a “gentleman’s honor” clause in here, I wouldn’t mind knowing about it, even though my days as an adjunct are long over and I’m back to paying full price. I did indeed take advantage of the educational price break years ago…it worked to my advantage to be able to advise the college about updates, and be on the front line with the software for my students’ sake.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by sw rec; 05-02-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:15 PM

so why would Avid not state this more clearly literally anywhere on their website? It’s interesting to see this completely omitted from their support or store pages too. Are they more lenient with their policy? I wish someone from AVID could confirm this so I, and other students, aren’t completely stressed about this, it’s still upsetting and turns me away from learning or using their products.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xas View Post
I, and other students, aren’t completely stressed about this.
There’s far worse things in the world to be anxious about.

Go write/mix some music and never think of this again. No one is going to come after you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2022, 06:22 PM

I’m sorry but come on, this is common sense. Why would a business give another business a discount to make money off their product. It’s “EDUCATION” meant for “LEARNING” not selling.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTalk View Post
I’m sorry but come on, this is common sense. Why would a business give another business a discount to make money off their product. It’s “EDUCATION” meant for “LEARNING” not selling.
that’s not what commercial use means… In this context, I am not intending using it for that reason.

Last edited by Xas; 05-03-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
There’s far worse things in the world to be anxious about.

Go write/mix some music and never think of this again. No one is going to come after you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to this.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:09 PM

As an update, I contacted AVID and it was stated they do not object to students starting their careers using Pro Tools as long as they are qualified to use the education license. Although it is stated that it is recommended to upgrade for professional use. It is a sigh of relief. In other words, this concern has been resolved.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:07 PM
SPAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xas View Post
Before purchasing, I checked all of AVID’s store pages, FAQs, support sites, and forums about commercial use for education purchases of Pro Tools and AVID never stated otherwise. I made sure that it was the right license. It was only until after I bought it I saw one line in the EULA that says education is for non-commercial use but Avid is very vague and doesn’t describe what it means. What if I’m a student or graduate and I get a summer internship and use it there, or if I mix songs for my friends, or make YouTube videos and have monetization or create songs for an album I’m working on or something, are these things not OK to do in the education license? Does AVID understand the needs of students and are lenient towards these situations since they use Pro Tools for many different reasons and it’s description is vague, or is AVID very strict and will revoke my license of Pro Tools immediately at any time? I hope someone from AVID can tell me, I tried contacting support but to no avail. Well and of course I can not help but tell how I found a very cool service that helps really now those who are looking for how to write themselves an essay and so on to order. but few people agreed to either do quickly, or do quality. But I found someone who can combine these two concepts. I found help writing paper https://domypaper.com/ and you can always do it too. I hope I was able to help. Good luck.

Edit: This issue was solved, update below.
For some reason my problem never got solved, unfortunately.

Last edited by Bonaro; 10-23-2023 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:33 AM

What problem????