Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Cost Effective Computer System

I'm beginning to think about what PC LapTop computer would be doable on a bit of a budget.. Being in the finance business has proved a bit interesting for the last couple years! I've got a Dell Inspiron 5150 right now, ( 5 years old I think )with the only upgrade I've done of adding RAM.. It's a Pentium 3.06 I think. If anyone has a second to throw some ideas out there, I appreciate it.. Thank you
Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Cost Effective Computer System

I tried MANY laptops and all on a budget simply won't work in my opinion. You need a good middle of the road computer at best to make PT work. I have gone through several desktops before I finally got to where I am now on the road to smooth sailing. Check my specs, but I am using a desktop.
I think the laptops on here that work best are Mac's. If budget didn't kill me I would be using mine on a mac as well. It's just better suited I think. Stay away from all computer that are less than 3 years old. My 2003 did not work well with PT 8!

Just my experience.
I would build a computer to be honest. Much cheaper and you can get on it what PT requires.
That's how I got started on here.

Best of luck
Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Cost Effective Computer System

Check out Lenovo.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com