Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Default C24 for recording?

Hi!
First post here.
My first question is about C24 as a recording consol.Do you all use extrnal preamps instead
of the built in when recording? Anyone using them and still be happy?
I ask beacuse I´m planning to buy some equipment soon and I´m thinking of getting a good
console for recording and using the C24 as a controller.

But it feels like overkill when there are 16 pre´s in the C24. But,I want, as you all,good
quality. I´m going to work a lot with mixing but it´s hard to think of all the houres mousing
around. So I really want/need a controller.

I guess none have heard the new C24 yet, but what can we expect do you think?
Is there any good options for a 24 fader controller?

Thank´s!

Peter
Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: C24 for recording?

I have a C|24 that I use only as a controller, and for monitoring through (which I know a lot of people have mixed opinions about). I do not use the pre-amps in mine for tracking though. For pre-amping I use a Universal Audio 2-610 tube pre. I have done some tracking through the built in pre's in the past, and they're okay (not the best-not the worst).

I would invest in a really nice high end pre-amp for tracking. Use the controller for what it does best, which is control PT.

As far as the new C|24's go, I don't have any experience hearing their pre's. My guess would be that they aren't anything too impressive. The design of the board also doesn't do anything for me. The sloped back is what I really like about the original C|24 (that and they weren't Pro Controls). It would be great if Digi released an update for the original C|24's, that gave functionality to certain features and buttons that never had anything implemented, but we have all been asking about that for a long time-and get no response.

Or you can always get a Mackie controller and expand it to your channel needs, but they are not the best. Less expensive-yes, just plain old junk-yes. Sorry just my opinion of them.

I hope this helps!

Ron

System:
PT HD v8.0.1cs2/PT 9 HD3 Accel, 96 I/O, 96i I/O, Control |24, Midi I/O, Sync I/O

http://myspace.com/ronk
http://ron-k.net/studio.html
http://facebook.com/ron.k.music
Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: C24 for recording?

Quote:

As far as the new C|24's go, I don't have any experience hearing their pre's. My guess would be that they aren't anything too impressive.
I think I heard somewhere that they're straight from the 003...